Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:38 AM   #1

Default Inherited some old lenses..any to save?

Hi!
My grandfather just moved and found a box of lenses / cameras and he gave it to me. To my fortune it was m42 lenses atleast most of them and some konica lenses.

is any of them any good? i haven't got my m42 adapter yet so can't try them out, but some of the are very bright and I love low light photography so I guess they will be nice to try out. The big lenses I think aren't worth it, got a 55-300 and these are very dirty so would need disassebling i assume.
the cameras i guess is just to sell if someone want them?

How about the konica lenses, are there any adapters around? i have read that the mount is similar but the "flange?" is different so it wont work even with adapter. Is that correct?
Attached Images

SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:59 AM   #2

The Domiplan is well thought of and the S-M-C Tak 50/1.4 is a very nice low light lens. Can't comment on any of the others but the Tokina 200/3.5 looks interesting at least !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3

They certainly are worth trying, remember some 42mm adapters have an infinity focusing problem, don't assume it's a problem with the lens. The 2X converters are probably not worth using but they can make good extension tubes if you remove the glass.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:28 PM   #4

G'day CT

Via a very similar means, I was delivered with some M42 lenses as well
I got a SMC Takumar 50mm f1,2 and when I sit it on the Panny G2 + M42 adapter it absolutely flies > bearing in mind that it's full DIY manual

For the others in your collection, I'm not sure > experiment then paperweights? maybe
ps: I can post some images if you like > pl advise

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day CT

Via a very similar means, I was delivered with some M42 lenses as well
I got a SMC Takumar 50mm f1,2 and when I sit it on the Panny G2 + M42 adapter it absolutely flies > bearing in mind that it's full DIY manual

For the others in your collection, I'm not sure > experiment then paperweights? maybe
ps: I can post some images if you like > pl advise

Regards, Phil
please post pictures!! I always like pictures!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:59 AM   #6

The smc 50 1.4 is a nice lens worth keeping. The other m42 lenses probably are also worth trying, I suspect the 200mm prime is probably pretty decent. While the Meyer optic domiplan might be decent the faster smc 50 is probably the one to keep.

On the Konica lens, looks like it is just the 135? If that is the case I wouldn't evens bother searching out an adapter. Instead I'd list it on eBay. It's not a rare lens and probably won't fetch much (the adapter probably will cost more). There are better 135 lenses in m42 for similar money.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
The smc 50 1.4 is a nice lens worth keeping. The other m42 lenses probably are also worth trying, I suspect the 200mm prime is probably pretty decent. While the Meyer optic domiplan might be decent the faster smc 50 is probably the one to keep.

On the Konica lens, looks like it is just the 135? If that is the case I wouldn't evens bother searching out an adapter. Instead I'd list it on eBay. It's not a rare lens and probably won't fetch much (the adapter probably will cost more). There are better 135 lenses in m42 for similar money.
thanks!! I have found some reviews on the 50/1.4 lens and it seems to be a keeper!! I am still waiting for my m42 adapter to arrive

the 200mm primes (both of them) are very dirty and I suspect I will have to disassemble them to be able to clean them but that might be a good thing...

/michael
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:28 PM   #8

Hi

I have now taken a few pictures with my new lenses, mainly the 50mm Takumar and the 28mm Petri. I am most satisfied with the 28mm Petri, it is fantastic!! look at the samples below! The 50mm is taking good pictures, very good but it is much harder to get good focus with it, don't know if it is my ex or if it just is this hard but I have to use liveview with magnification to get correct focus....with the petri lens I just shoot, i can achive focus almost instantly...strange!?
enjoy the pictures!

the first 3 is the Takumar 50mm and the last two is the Petri 28mm, the pix are jpegs from the camera with just a touch of sharpening applied in lightroom.
Attached Images

Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:31 PM   #9

Some great results with these old lenses - good tools in great hands!

I too have difficulty with accurate focusing on some manual lenses - especially those (like your Tak 50) with wide F-stop...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:34 PM   #10

The larger the aperture, the smaller the dof. Wide angles are usually pretty simple to focus as the dof is bigger and if you are close, it doesn't usually matter. When I was mostly shooting manual focus lenses I did fine, but recently I've been noticing I make more errors. I've often wondered if my K5 is really accurately calibrated as far as focus, or if I have the dioper adjusted correctly since I have noticed my eyes seem to have changed enough to get headaches from my glasses now. It's getting time for me to visit the optometrist again.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote