Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:57 PM   #11

Lou, very nice shots, I too have to little knowledge of the marking of young Hawks to know the difference, but once again, very nice shots.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
Lou, very nice shots, I too have to little knowledge of the marking of young Hawks to know the difference, but once again, very nice shots.

Tom
Thanks Tom, maybe it is best to just call them by the grouping name "Accipiter". Whatever the make or model I am happy that they chose to visit my property and be kind enough to pose for me.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:25 PM   #13

Lou - Whichever species of Accipiter, these are some very fine photos - great captures of the details and the personality. Hope you continue to observe, enjoy & photograph your "neighbors!" (and, of course, share your great photos with the rest of us...)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:28 AM   #14

Mole I think the Accipiter's have found greener pastures. I have not seen or heard them for two days now. The last time I saw one it was on a high branch with a snake in its talons. Perhaps they hunt in an area until it is hunted out or the prey become wary of their presence and become more cautious and needing food, they move on to greener pastures.

Lou
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:55 PM   #15

Wonderful photos, Lou. Since I'm not a serious birder, I couldn't get any more specific than simply saying "some sort of hawk." Sorry to hear that they have moved on, but I assume you enjoyed their company while it lasted.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:08 AM   #16

Really neat shots... I also particularly like the second from the last. Well done!!!!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:21 PM   #17

Amazing, Lou. You are getting to be quite the birder.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:18 PM   #18

Mtnman, Ned & Patty - Thanks

Lou
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #19

Very nice shots Lou, hope they stay around or come thrugh your neighborhood often. I have seen very few hawks in my neighborhood I can remember one red shouldered hawk but it was very shy.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:06 PM   #20

Excellent shots, can't tell you what they are though. I remember one day seeing a hawk hanging around a tree near my office, but its never been back, unfortunately. There's at least one red-tailed hawk that hangs around near my subdivision, I can often hear it calling. I've rarely seen it, and then it was soaring so far above that there was no way to photograph it. That seems to be my story, they are common but I always see them soaring above.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote