Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:25 PM   #1

Default New Residents

These two Sharp-shinned hawks (you have to look carefully at the chest markings to tell them apart) have taken up residency in our neighborhood. They are frequently in my yard drooling over the birds at my feeder. So far only one Blue Jay has been taken.

I am calling them Sharp-shinned Hawks but they could also be Cooper's Hawks. They are immature birds and it is hard to tell one species from the other. I will leave it to those with more bird savvy than I to correct me if I am wrong.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:48 PM   #2

Wow these are beautiful shots of a stunning bird! Nice work. Like you I can't be sure if sharp shinned or cooper hawk but definitely a bird hawk. With the feeder comes the predators... Blue jays are kinda nasty bullies of a bird anyways, circle of life, everything gets eaten by something... Maybe a predator, maybe the worms after we die but the living world is always cycling
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3

Very nice shots. Would love to see one wild just to observe. Looking at my Audubon bird guide, looks like a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. The Juvenile Sharp Shinned has a different coloring on the head.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:19 AM   #4

very nice, 2nd to last is my favorite!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:29 AM   #5

Wow. Fantastic to have these in your back garden ! Lovely shots Lou.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:49 PM   #6

Great series Lou, the last is my fav,

Well done.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:51 PM   #7

Hi Lou,

Great captures!

I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess) Cooper's for two reasons. My NG Field Guide shows the darker patches on the lower cheeks only on the Cooper's juvies, and states that only the Cooper's juvies lack streaking on the belly while on the Sharp Shinned, the streaks extend farther. I could definitely be wrong though, I've only seen a few of these, mostly from a considerable distance, but am almost positive they were all Cooper's.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Wow these are beautiful shots of a stunning bird! Nice work. Like you I can't be sure if sharp shinned or cooper hawk but definitely a bird hawk. With the feeder comes the predators... Blue jays are kinda nasty bullies of a bird anyways, circle of life, everything gets eaten by something... Maybe a predator, maybe the worms after we die but the living world is always cycling
Ramcewan, Thanks for the ice comments.

Having just recently come back from an African safari I saw firsthand the circle of life as everything on the ground that was either killed or died of natural causes would be eaten by one thing or another including the bones and be recycled back into the ground to fertilize the land.

Lou
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:47 PM   #9

Mike and Scott - I have been agonizing over the ID and having seen it in flight and more than anything heard it's voice repeatedly (the birds are calling to each other all the time) I will still stand by the Sharp-shinned Hawk ID but the difference between the two Hawks are very subtle and I wouldn't bet on either my or your ID's. I have been listening to bird sound recordings of the two and it is the primary reason I am sticking to my first choice.

Thanks for your nice comments as well.

Lou
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:49 PM   #10

Kevin & Simon - Thanks for the nice comments.

Lou