Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:01 PM   #1

Default permanent k mounted m42

Anyone out there have comments/suggestions/chemical applications on fixing m42 to lenses in k mount?

I am interested in doing it, but want to make sure i do it right..

Even the pentax branded m42 adapters I have can get a little quirky sometimes where the lenses want to spin off instead of having the adapter come out of the mount.

All in all its just way faster to switch between k mounts..
Pentaxian 4 life
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
Anyone out there have comments/suggestions/chemical applications on fixing m42 to lenses in k mount?

I am interested in doing it, but want to make sure i do it right..

Even the pentax branded m42 adapters I have can get a little quirky sometimes where the lenses want to spin off instead of having the adapter come out of the mount.

All in all its just way faster to switch between k mounts..
Pentaxian 4 life
You can use thread locking compound, of which there are different grades, strongest is virtually permanent.

I believe Ed (BigDawg) has posted info on this in the past, try searching his posts or maybe he'll chip in, though I haven't seen him post for a while. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:11 PM   #3

G'day NMR

Yeah mate - try some LokTite - you'll find lots of it in the auto places (as mentioned above it comes in various grades) or maybe Tarzan's Grip in the threads will do the same job too

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:56 PM   #4

Thanks both. I wanted to make sure I had the right stuff before I just glued some crap on these old rare zeiss lenses.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:12 PM   #5

Have never tried this, but have heard something about being sure you remove the spring (???) from the adapter, or else it's very difficult to remove the lens/adapter combination from the camera. You might want to research this before using the loktite, or perhaps someone with more experience will chime in here...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:25 AM   #6

Make sure there is a way to remove the lens from the adapter if the adapter should get stuck on the camera - it has happened a couple of times to me with El Cheapo copies, before I did what I should have done in the first place and bought an original.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:12 AM   #7

Yeah Ive had the same Frogfish. I will only attach the pentax branded ones to my body now and its a real solid mount. I still find that it likes to have the lens unscrew before the mount wants to come off the body..

Pretty much why I want to fix it on for good
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Have never tried this, but have heard something about being sure you remove the spring (???) from the adapter, or else it's very difficult to remove the lens/adapter combination from the camera. You might want to research this before using the loktite, or perhaps someone with more experience will chime in here...
I have only one lens that I've done this with semi permanently, and I've just checked I have removed the spring as mole suggests (Good point), I'm sure I got info from a post by BigDawg as mentioned above, I've never had any problem unmounting the lens. Another tip which may be of interest is to make a thin foil washer to fit the lens mount before fitting the adapter, it serves to short the camera body contacts ... this allows "Focus Trap" or "Catch in Focus operation".

BTW my lens is also a Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35/28. ... Jack

Last edited by jachol; Aug 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote