Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:58 PM   #11

Thanks for that explanation, Frogfish. I must have missed that. I suppose I will steer clear of that. Anything without a mirror, Im not buying.. Unless its an optio or other water resistant point and shoot.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:10 PM   #12

Kevin & NMR - thanks for a fascinating discussion - very informative!

Mutty - When I was forced to upgrade from KM to K20D (dropped the KM in an icy creek, but that's another story...), was amazed at the increase in image quality and the increased learning curve! Still learning the "new" camera which is several generations behind the current model, and still happy with the images it produces. Surely the "almost current" K5, paired with all your great lenses, and your talented hands & eyes, will produce some fine results...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutty View Post
Hi all. I haven't been shooting much lately, mostly because I feel my old *istDS body is too far behind the times - I can use my cell phone for quick snaps, and the *istDS doesn't seem worth the effort to lug around anymore. I do have a lot of glass though, and hate to see it just sitting in the bag. I want to be inspired again, and go hunting for that shot that you can't get with a phone.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the K-5 body, but notice it's over 2 years old. I worry that as soon as I purchase it, Pentax will announce the next model.

Of course I have to move sometime, and no matter what I get, it will eventually be obsolete.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks! _mutty
I am in the same boat (hopefully not the Titanic) I still really love my Ist DS-matter of fact I own (3) bodies-have an almost new K10D and K20D-just haven't had the time to learn those bodies. I still prefer the images from the CCD rather than the CMOS-but that's a personal decision. Don't know what the learning curve would be on the K5-plus not crazy about the focus adjustment for each lens. I am from the old 35mm school-you put a lens on the body and it focuses-no front or rear adjustments-Ist DS still works that way. Cheapest I have seen so far is about $850 for the K5 so it has not enticed me to jump in the pool. Hard to believe there would be that much of an image improvement to justify that amount. Would rather buy a new Ltd lens.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:44 AM   #14

Don't know how a K-5 could improve this image. Ist DS using DA 55-300. Minor cropping-soft on purpose for portrait. My granddaughter this past July
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
Don't know how a K-5 could improve this image. Ist DS using DA 55-300. Minor cropping-soft on purpose for portrait. My granddaughter this past July

A fine image indeed. I would say if anything, larger resolution for big prints. I've been doing a lot of very large canvas prints lately and having the 100% resolution without having to stretch helps quite a bit.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
A fine image indeed. I would say if anything, larger resolution for big prints. I've been doing a lot of very large canvas prints lately and having the 100% resolution without having to stretch helps quite a bit.
That was all that I could think of too - my usual large image is 8 x 12 or at the most a 12 x 18. My current equipment handles that fine-guess I answered my own question.
Thanks
Dave
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:06 AM   #17

Having spent the past couple of weeks shooting with the K100, K7 and back to the K5, while I enjoy shooting the K100 and that 6 mp sensor is very good, the camera doesn't have the dynamic range of the K5, and more noise at the same ISO levels. The K7 loses out to both cameras when it comes to dynamic range and noise. If I were to upgrade my camera again I would most likely keep the K100 and K5, selling the K7. But that's highly unlikely, the K5 suits me almost perfectly and the budget is blown for this year on non-photo things.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote