Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Default Thinking about upgrading my Pentax body

Hi all. I haven't been shooting much lately, mostly because I feel my old *istDS body is too far behind the times - I can use my cell phone for quick snaps, and the *istDS doesn't seem worth the effort to lug around anymore. I do have a lot of glass though, and hate to see it just sitting in the bag. I want to be inspired again, and go hunting for that shot that you can't get with a phone.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the K-5 body, but notice it's over 2 years old. I worry that as soon as I purchase it, Pentax will announce the next model.

Of course I have to move sometime, and no matter what I get, it will eventually be obsolete.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks! _mutty

Last edited by mutty; Sep 2, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2

Youre n a similar boat as I am... Pentax is announcing something later this month. You can already find amazing K-5 deals as it is and I dont see the price dropping much more on the used market. I've been seeing them go as low as 600 dollars in exc.

I think people are thinking if they sell now, they will get a better price than once the new pentax comes out.

I think really you need to decide whether you might splurge on that new pentax model, or snag a really great deal on a K5 on the used market right now.

an IST to K5 would be a huge upgrade as it would for me to go from my K20. I am hoping the announcement will have a 24mp sensor in it to give a larger resolution range than what I am currently shooting.. If its just an upgraded version of the K5, I will probably go ahead and get that and wait for the next 'big leap' in technology.

Maybe not advice but that's what Im doing..

The K7, Kr, Kx on ebay are going for really high prices still even though the K5 is producing stellar deals.. I think some people out there are still dreaming
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:11 PM   #3

Don't worry about what's coming down the line. No longer in production does not mean obsolete and does not mean your warranty is void !

The K5 is a fantastic camera and will be a massive step up from the iST. It can be found for under $800 now - that is a fantastic bargain for such a superb camera, that will give you years of enjoyment and handle 99% of whatever it is you want to shoot. The replacement will be at least US$1,500 (as the K5 was when it first came out 2 yrs ago).

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:41 PM   #4

Good point Frogfish, but if the new one can shoot 12 frames per second and features full frame sensor and an upgraded auto focus motor, it'll be worth the wait and $$ for some (including me)

If not, then Pentax pretty much has given up being competitive as far as camera features and specs go.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:30 PM   #5

The K-5 is an excellent camera, the better the glass you use on it the better the images.I;d say if you can get one for under $800 go ahead and get one and you'll be very impressed in how well it shots.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
Good point Frogfish, but if the new one can shoot 12 frames per second and features full frame sensor and an upgraded auto focus motor, it'll be worth the wait and $$ for some (including me)

If not, then Pentax pretty much has given up being competitive as far as camera features and specs go.
Well that depends on a) if you need FF and 12 FPS (most don't), better AF (we all do but the K5's AF has been proven to be the most accurate (bar Panasonic's 4/3 or whatever it is) amongst consumer cameras and b) can afford US$1,500

EDIT. Of course there is no way a new Pentax FF will be able to shoot 12 FPS and for that matter no way a prosumer DSLR can either (without being a D4 - which is a pro-level camera). Those SLTs can of course but then that's a whole different story !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Sep 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:57 AM   #7

Quote:

If we are dreaming up specs, I want a user-removable IR filter like with the Sigma SD-1 and SD-15 so I can do some more infrared photography. The K7 is too good at filtering out IR light.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Well that depends on a) if you need FF and 12 FPS (most don't), better AF (we all do but the K5's AF has been proven to be the most accurate (bar Panasonic's 4/3 or whatever it is) amongst consumer cameras and b) can afford US$1,500

EDIT. Of course there is no way a new Pentax FF will be able to shoot 12 FPS and for that matter no way a prosumer DSLR can either (without being a D4 - which is a pro-level camera). Those SLTs can of course but then that's a whole different story !

Sony SLT-65

Sony SLT-A77

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta65 Not FF, but the sensor does provide equivalent resolution of one.
If sony can do it.. why can't Pentax ?

Last edited by NMRecording; Sep 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:15 AM   #9

If I was you, I'd just buy the K5. Great camera.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:

Sony SLT-65

Sony SLT-A77

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta65 Not FF, but the sensor does provide equivalent resolution of one.
If sony can do it.. why can't Pentax ?
Because they are SLT's as I said in my previous post above !

No mirrors, no optical VFs, horrible high ISO noise (Sony forumites say 800 is the max for any decent photo, low light photography is also an issue because less light reaches the sensor, they are not (for me anyway) real DSLRs

As for their sensors - well reviews on independent sites have said they reckon you should go for the largest they have as the low light issue (due to the vastly reduce amount of light reaching the sensor) is so bad.

At the moment the main selling point of SLT cameras is full live AF in video and very high FPS. I hope Pentax stay away ... at least until the technology moves forward at least 10 paces.

Sony believe they will one day be the future (but it's taken them 4 years to upgrade from their last SLT) - maybe they will but for the moment it is still imperfect technology.

Last edited by Frogfish; Sep 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM.