Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:37 AM   #1

Default K-5 Focus Adjustment

Still kicking around the idea of a K-5. One of the concerns is the focus adjustment for lenses. I have (9) Pentax lenses-what are the chances that these would have to be ajdusted for sharpness? Just want to get an idea what I would be in for. Have a lot going on now-retiring and moving to Arizona-not a lot of extra time for this-don't want to have it sit on the shelf for months until I can get to it. I know each camera is different-just want to get a general idea. Thanks
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:15 PM   #2

Hi DMJJR,

My experience with micro adjustment for focus has been. . .that I haven't had to use it. I have more AF lenses than most (20 at last count), and all focus correctly. I'll admit that I'm probably not as finicky as some, but I pretty much stick to premium glass and expect these lenses to perform.

I've had 3 bodies so far that offer focus micro adjustment, and when I first got the K20, I went crazy testing lenses and playing with the focus adjust. After wasting a whole lot of time, especially with faulty initial testing procedures, I found that none of my lenses needed correction.

When I got my K-7, I tested a few lenses, then decided that I'd just shoot, and if I found that any lens showed consistent noticeable focus misses, I'd then test and try to correct for that lens. None so far. . . and the same goes for my K-5.

I like having the feature. If I found that I needed it, I would appreciate it even more. IMO, a lot of shooters assume that since the feature is available, it must be for a reason, and that most lenses must need some adjustment because they're mass produced and that means that there are necessary production tolerances, as well as those in the camera, and add some looser QC from both, and you have unreliable AF. Im my experience, this just isn't the case. I'm sure that there are a lot of cases where the body is adjusted to the + side of "acceptable" tolerances and the lens is adjusted to the - side, and they just don't mix, but I have yet to experience this.

With me, at least, AF errors are almost always caused by the loose screw behind the viewfinder. . . If I've proven to myself that a given camera body with a given lens is capable of a perfectly focused shot under ideal conditions (tripod, good light, perfect technique), then the only really unreliable variable is me, and I like to think that I usually place the blame where it belongs, and it's rarely with the gear.

If you go ahead and get the K-5 (and I think you'll find the camera a revelation in so many ways) I don't think you have much to worry about.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:00 PM   #3

Default K-5 Focus

Thanks for all the input. In some of my previous messages I mentioned I have a like new K20d-I bought a used Pentax 17-70 zoom on Ebay which wouldn't focus. Since this was the only camera I had that used the SDM I fooled around for hours trying to get it right-didn't happen. So I gave up on the camera and lens for quite a while. Just didn't trust either one-as it turned out the lens had a defective motor-which was repaired. Still not warm & fuzzy about either one. That's the main reason behind the reluctance to jump in the pool.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:41 PM   #4

I have one lens (DA 12-24) that I've had to adjust on every camera since the K20 so I've been very happy to have the ability to adjust for its front focusing issues.

My experience has been similar to Scott's experience: shooting focus charts is a frustrating and usually inconclusive exercise for me. So I don't bother to go through that unless I absolutely have to, choosing to shoot a lot and see if there's an obvious, consistent focus issue. My second K5 seemed to be off on a number of lenses, I think I adjusted 4, maybe 5 of them. I mentioned that I thought the AF had a problem when I sent it in to get the lens release button replaced, and also asked for the extended warranty cleaning/servicing. The work order said they adjusted the AF, and it's made a huge difference, while I haven't shot with all my AF lenses since its been back, the ones I have used haven't shown any problems. So I haven't adjusted any of them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:50 PM   #5

I also agree with Scott. Have never had an issue with any of my lenses on the K100, K-7 or K-5.

The k-5 is a great camera body and I am sure you would not regret having it.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:01 PM   #6

I also agree with the other posters. I have the K-5, K10D and K-m. Also a number of Pentax lenses.

The K-5 allows me to adjust the focus and thought I would try it out with my Pentax 50mm Macro F 2.8.

I played around with the K-5 according to the directions. At the end I couldn't see any difference...before and after..so concluded that maybe the 50 macro was ok to begin with.

All my other lenses/cameras (including the K-5) seem to be working well (touch wood )...so I don't bother using the focus adjustment.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:02 PM   #7

I also agree with the other posters. I have the K-5, K10D and K-m. Also a number of Pentax lenses.

The K-5 allows me to adjust the focus and thought I would try it out with my Pentax 50mm Macro F 2.8.

I played around with the K-5 according to the directions. At the end I couldn't see any difference...before and after..so concluded that maybe the 50 macro was ok to begin with.

All my other lenses/cameras (including the K-5) seem to be working well (touch wood )...so I don't bother using the focus adjustment.

It's probably a good feature if you need it.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote