Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:17 PM   #1

Default K 20 or KR?

I would like to return to the Pentax fold again. As an impoverished pensioner funds are in short supply.
What are your opinions on the K-20 or am I better to pay extra for a K-R? I use a camera for my own use not as a professional and video is of no concern to me. If editing is needed I use an editing program so these gizmos included in the internal software are not normally used.
Opinions and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Fujifilm HS20-EXR & Pentax K20D
18-55 mm DA & 28-200 Sigma 3.5/5.6 ex SLR

My Flickr account
Mito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:37 PM   #2

Mito - I've never owned or used the K-R, but am very happy with the K-20. K-R is said to be better in low light/high ISO situations, does video, and has much better live view. But K-20 is weather sealed, has both front & rear e-dial, and has top LCD. For me, K-20 does all I need...

PS - hope you are able to "return to the fold" soon!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:41 AM   #3

I can second the K-20. My friend as a K-r and I would say the Kr has some improved low light and slightly faster af abilities but my images were always significantly higher in resolution and IQ. SOmething about the K20 had better coloring and overall image in my opinion.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4

Mito - what are you going to use the camera for is the most important question ?
If it is for family & grand children, holidays and strolls in the woods then I'd go for the more advanced technology, better low light ability and lower noise plus higher DR in the Kr.
If however you spend a lot of time out in the wilds so need WR, prefer higher resolution or want a pentaprism VF, then the K20 may be a better option for you.

Check out this link to give you an idea of the benefits each camera offers (but ignore their Winner and Reasons to Buy as they are often irrelevant to your type of shooting) : http://snapsort.com/compare/Pentax_K-r-vs-Pentax_K20D

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. The K20D had to be a "runner up" in Snapshot because it's older. It appears to meet my needs. We have a lot of dust here and I prefer to be outside. I have no specific use, I shoot anything I fancy, basically recording what I see though with leanings towards plants and wildlife of the more static type! Also I'm on a steep learning curve but enjoying it.
Since posting I have found a K20 in Portugal for approx €390 with the original 18-55 lens. A reasonable price? One owner bought in 2008. How do I check for shutter actuations?
No doubt there will be more questions, time will tell!

My Flickr account
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Can's help much about the price, but to check the shutter activations, you can use a program called photome if you have a Windows computer. I use a Mac so use Exiftool, which can be a bit frustrating as it runs in terminal so you have to learn commands and type correctly to get the data. All you need is a photo file with the exif information intact.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:40 PM   #7

Default The result!

After much searching internet I have found a K20d plus bag. Pleading with "she who must be obeyed" I now have it in my sweaty little hands. I'm still on a very steep learning curve but here are a couple I took yesterday. Comment and suggestions are welcome. The first is sunrise taken this morning the second, sun set, taken last night.
Attached Images

My Flickr account
Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:50 PM   #8

Default The result II

One more!
Attached Images

My Flickr account
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:29 PM   #9

Lovely photos and grats on the buy! Which lens(es) did you get with the cam?
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:19 AM   #10

Great results, looks like you already know the camera.

Hope to see more

Ronny