Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:07 PM   #1

Default Paul B Johnson State Park

Took a short trip to the state park near my house in Hattiesburg, MS. Though this place is only a few miles down the road, I didn't want to bother driving back to pick up my Tamron sp 90 macro I left at home so I put the Fa 35 to use. Hope you enjoy as much as I did. Comments/ critique welcome.

Stitched Pano with FA 35 f/2. Taken Right up on it with 25 photos, thats right! The full file size is approximately 3 gigs and would render quite nice with a large format print.

Taken with Carl Zeiss 200mm 2.8

Again the FA 35. Lighting was very difficult in the forrest with the sun attempting to pierce through the tops of the pine trees. I used the 540 fgz to bounce some light off the nearby trees to attempt to neutralize the spotty light conditions.

FA 35

Carl Zeiss 200 2.8 again.

FA 35 again. Accented the shadows with a B&W version. Difficult lighting conditions again as you can tell. In the RAW the highlights weren't blown as seen above in the reduced quality jpeg but I didn't bother trying to re-render out of times sake.

CZ 200mm 2.8 again. Not a stellar shot but look left and you can see someone just took a dive! It took a few passes before I could time it right for the natural framing just to find the person just fell off when they came into frame. No cropping done.

Well thanks for looking everyone! I would like to hear your favorite if you could... I will leave with this one I took in my backyard last weekend.

Last edited by NMRecording; Sep 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:01 PM   #2

Outstanding pano. As you have seen I like taking panos and find stitching easy as long as you give the software a good overlap to work with and hold your camera in one position and smoothly rotate your body.

Nice work on them all but #1 it is for me.

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Sep 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:27 AM   #3

I agree with Lou I like the pano best, nice series

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:41 PM   #4

Lovely series, thanks.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:58 PM   #5

Pano is great - gives good feeling of the lushness of the landscape. Keeping sky tones must be difficult in panoramas...

Good job overcoming tough lighting on the turkeytail fungus. I would have tried coming back on a cloudy day!

Nice lines and effective B&W conversion on the little bridge.

Very sharp and well-composed habitat shot on the Chicadee.

Favorite is the water lily bloom (#2) - very effective use of DOF and great detail.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:05 PM   #6

Nice series! Small world as I grew up in Hattiesburg, MS about 2 blocks from William Carey University (it was a small college then), and I have been swiming in the lake (we called it Lake Shelby) many, many times. I went to high school just a few miles south of there at FCAHS in Brooklyn.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:56 PM   #7

Great shots, all of them. I especially like the pano and the abstract pattern of the fungus.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:49 PM   #8

I like the fungi, too, and the pano. Nice work.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:49 AM   #9

Thanks for the comments everyone! It is a small world Tsquare. I just recently moved here but love it so far. My house is a very quiet neighborhood where stepping out side just results in birds chirping and the subtle clashing of leaves- yet 2 short roads and a 1 minute drive you find yourself right in the heart of the city. THat is something thats unheard of to me coming from Northern Virginia area- where you would never find such peace, tranquility, and large property sizes directly in the city.

It really is a neat place down here. Lots of culture, good food, music, and plenty of new environments to be photographed.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
THat is something thats unheard of to me coming from Northern Virginia area- where you would never find such peace, tranquility, and large property sizes directly in the city.
You come from Northern Virginia to Hattiesburg, and I come from Hattiesburg to Northern Virginia. I moved to Manassas in 1981 (working for the Army Audit Agency) and now live in Gainesville in a 55+ community called Heritage Hunt. My wife and I were back in Hattiesburg the week after Christmas last year for the first time in 12 years. I have a brother & sister there, and my wife has a sister south of town in a small town named New Augusta (Hwy. 98 South).
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote