Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:22 AM   #11

This is about as disappointing an announcement as it could get.

US$7,000 for the 560mm and only f5.6 !? Not in this lifetime. It needs to be spectacularly better than the Sigma 500mm (US$5,000) an f4.5 lens, and on a par with the unbelievable Nikon/Canon 500/4 and 600/4 lenses - and before it is even released we can tell it's not by it's f5.6 max. This is tragic.

As for the K5II and K5IIs - the AF looks superb on paper and I welcome the lack of an AA filter in the s (though whether that is good for birding remains to be seen - it isn't necessarily better in the D800E (no AA filter) compared to the Nikon D800 (with AA filter) sometimes showing visible moire in feather detail. Good for studio and landscape shooters though.
Also welcome the auto correction for CA and distortion for most of my Pentax lenses and the new grid choices and filters. I'm disappointed there isn't more to the new models though in the way of resolution.

This will send a legion of Pentax shooters to Canon / Nikon now that it is virtually certain there is a) no FF camera in the foreseeable future and b) the price of the 560mm is horrendously askew to the market conditions. I know of lots of posters over the forums I inhabit that have been waiting on the 560mm price - expected to be in the US$2,000 - 2,500 range and for a FF announcement.

Bottom Line.
I'll upgrade to the K5IIs after a few months and the street price has stabilised.
I'm very happy I jumped early to the D800 and Sigma 500mm because Pentax are not offering me anything at all in the way of FF, additional resolution or reasonably priced long lenses.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Sep 11, 2012 at 6:24 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:41 AM   #12

For me the 560mm lens is seriously out of control price wise, I have no idea who Pentax expects to sell this lens to. That is Nikon lens pricing and they have FF already, so I will be looking there for lenses if I decide to put that kind of money into a lens.

As for the K5II/K5IIS, interesting that Pentax claims the AF is vastly improved, but I will believe it when I see it. My FF Nikon blows the K5 out of the water with AF speed with moving objects, so much so that in my opinion there is really no contest. Unless the K5II is at least equal to my Nikon gear, I will not be buying the camera, even when the price comes down.

I was expecting much more from Pentax with their new offerings.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
I'm very happy I jumped early to the D800 and Sigma 500mm because Pentax are not offering me anything at all in the way of FF, additional resolution or reasonably priced long lenses.
But the D800 retails for nearly 2500 in the UK - hardly comparing like with like!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbells View Post
But the D800 retails for nearly 2500 in the UK - hardly comparing like with like!
That was my point - Pentax don't have a FF digital camera !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:39 AM   #15

I disagree..

In my opinion 1500-1600and 2500 are in the same price realm, especially considering whne you're going to spend equal (if not more in the 540s case) on lens investments in the end on your gear)

I say in the end the pricing is pretty much in the same category.. While the body is slightly cheaper (and of course its 1299 new because its not a new camera IMO, if it were it would be 1599 or in that realm) the end investment is pretty much pennies in the barrel.

Now if all the lenses were 50% less then we'd be talking about an entirely different class alltogether and one wouldn't expect it to compete.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:55 AM   #16

I've thought more about the lens. I think there was a misstep but not as bad as some people. Ricoh is not going to have success trying to meet the unrealistic expectation of some that it start producing "Budget professional gear". Some people seem to expect Pentax to produce bodies and lenses that compete with the Canon & Nikon pro gear but want it for about 40% of the price. I think it is valid for Ricoh to test the waters to see if the user base are really willing to pay "going rates" for top notch gear. I just think they chose the wrong price point. I think developing a super-tele in the $4,000 range would have been a better starting point. If the user base is going to cap the $$ they are willing to spend at $2,000 it's just not worth pursuing that segment of the market. I think $4k works well as a barometer and they should have developed a product for a price point around there. They cannot thrive as a business if they just try to meet the desires of the people that want the budget solutions. But $7k is too much of a leap-of-faith IMO.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:36 AM   #17

I have it on reliable authority that Sony will announce on September 12 its full frame A99, this from a source who has been given access to one of Sony's private websites, but it may already be public somewhere else. He has pictures but no specifications. Pentax' "official" announcement of the new modes we have already seen has been announced for Sept 18th. It seems that Sony does not expect to make major inroads into the Professional market, but feels that the "prestige" of having professional models in their line will increase sales of their APSC models by giveing them more credibility that they would have if they only had amateur models in their line. Earlier there were reports that Pentax might have an ff camera using the same new Sony sensor, but would have to wait 6 months after the A99 release to be able to use it. Whether this was to give Sony a lead over competition on simply to allow them to ramp up production of the new sensor to the point that they had enough to supply to others was not clear.

IMO the biggest mistake Pentax made with their new models was not including a fold out LCD. The fact that the new X-5 has one indicates that they have the ability/patent access to do sso, so the implication is that they don't think serious dslr photographers would want/need one. Sony's experience shows otherwise.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
IMO the biggest mistake Pentax made with their new models was not including a fold out LCD. The fact that the new X-5 has one indicates that they have the ability/patent access to do sso, so the implication is that they don't think serious dslr photographers would want/need one. Sony's experience shows otherwise.
Let me ask - is the X-5 sealed? Having a fold-out LCD would make weather-sealing more difficult. Sealing seems to be one of the attributes Pentax is relying upon as a competitive advantage.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:53 AM   #19

I have been using an articulating screen with a big zoom point and shoot for work and once you have used one, it quickly becomes indispensable. I really, really don't want to change systems as bang for the buck Pentax is the best on the planet. Please Pentax, make a DSLR with an articulating screen. In an aside, I am finding I really don't even need a DSLR for a lot of what I do. Low light, of course, I bring out my Kx and 24mm prime. People who think even the high level point and shoots can match a DSLR aren't shooting under really tough conditions. Think noise and dynamic range. You just can't HDR a dance event or night football game.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Let me ask - is the X-5 sealed? Having a fold-out LCD would make weather-sealing more difficult. Sealing seems to be one of the attributes Pentax is relying upon as a competitive advantage.
Well, I am nor an engineer, but I'll bet it could be done. That aside, not every camera a person owns has to be weather sealed - I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax were to offer a non WR version of something at the level of the very capable "entry level" K30, it would outsell the WR version. For the type of photography I do I find I have been using my Sony dslr/slt cameras more for that feature than my Pentaxes, unless I have need for the WR or a particular lens or else simply want pictures to post on this forum. A case in point: I was preparing to take picturtes at the bird feeder for the monthly "meal time" challenge with the K5 and 70-300mm Sigma when my dog treed a squirrel - a great but fast moving moving photo-op so I grabbed what was at hand - wrong camera and wrong lens for the job. I got some good pictures because the K5 is a great camera, but missed some better ones because 70mm was too long at the wide end and I didn't have time to get down to a more favorable low angle for what I would have wanted to get - I was moving too fast to keep up with the frantic dog while dodging blocking vegetation and being either too close or too far away. We were both out of puff when I locked her in the house to let the squirrel get away. I will shortly post some of them to illustrate the point.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote