Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:23 PM   #1

Default Pentax-Ricoh announces new bodies, lenses

Recent announcement:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...l__SgJCLAIj5zg
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:09 PM   #2

Just from reading the specs on the new K-5II it doesn't seem like a huge upgrade but real world tests will be a better judge of that, Still love my K-5 and feel like it has a long useful life ahead of it

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:22 PM   #3

Dave - it looks like they tried to address the 2 biggest complaints - AF and LCD. If they did so successfully, it will be a very nice camera. The only real problem is if Canon and Nikon release new bodies to replace 7d, 60d or d300, d7000. Then, things could look bad relative to the competition. What is interesting is the press announcement from Ricoh calls them flagship models - which should help dispell talk of a full frame camera for this year (whether that's good or bad depends on who you ask )
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:06 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice to see Pentax finally catching up to some of the features and specs of the pro grade DSLR bodies.

That 18-270 lens...given the zoom range, I wonder if it is made for them by Tamron (18-270 PZD)? Wasn't too long ago that they withdrew their DA 18-250mm.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave - it looks like they tried to address the 2 biggest complaints - AF and LCD. If they did so successfully, it will be a very nice camera. The only real problem is if Canon and Nikon release new bodies to replace 7d, 60d or d300, d7000. Then, things could look bad relative to the competition. What is interesting is the press announcement from Ricoh calls them flagship models - which should help dispell talk of a full frame camera for this year (whether that's good or bad depends on who you ask )

I have a K-5 and I like it quite a bit. But given that it has been out for 2 years or so, I was surprised that they didn't use the 24 MP Sony sensor rather then using the same sensor (I think ) that is in my K-5....a 15 or 16 MP something.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Nice to see Pentax finally catching up to some of the features and specs of the pro grade DSLR bodies.

That 18-270 lens...given the zoom range, I wonder if it is made for them by Tamron (18-270 PZD)? Wasn't too long ago that they withdrew their DA 18-250mm.
Yes it is based on the Tamron model.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:47 PM   #7

I am interested to see some of the images from the K5IIs to see how the moire is controlled. I would love an AA filter free camera if I dont have to spend hours PP'ing shots to get them to look good. The added detail is something I am interested in seeing. Pentax already has weak AA filters so it may not be as significant improvement as other cameras that offer both but still intriguing.

I'd love to see that price point of the 540. My tamron 300 2.8 sp is hard to beat but weights like 7 lbs or so.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave - it looks like they tried to address the 2 biggest complaints - AF and LCD. If they did so successfully, it will be a very nice camera.)
When I use my f/2.8 lens AF is super fast and I have no AF issues which is why I made the comment the way I did. And..... I feel the Pentax K-5 as is is a very nice camera.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM   #9

I must be different than everyone else. I wasn't at all interested in a 24 mp camera for a lot of reasons. I figured I'd just stick with what I have since while I'm not crazy about the AF of the K5, mine seems to be much more accurate now that I have it back after being serviced and it's never really bothered me. I'm also not at all interested in full frame, unless they can make one the weight of the K5 (some day they might, but not yet). So I was all for skipping the next camera, but the K5 II piques my interest far more than a 24 mp camera would. And the initial price tag isn't bad, cheaper than what the K5 was initially. I'll be watching the reports from early adopters as they come in with great interest.

I was somewhat interested in the 560 lens, until I saw the price tag. I think my next lens is likely to be the Sigma 150-500, even though its not weather sealed. But I'll most likely wait to see if they come out with the TC that was on their lens roadmap for next year before making a decision. I still want a weather sealed wide angle (really my biggest need/hole, even more than a lens longer than 300) and might have considered the 18-270 if it had WR in its name.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I must be different than everyone else. I wasn't at all interested in a 24 mp camera for a lot of reasons. I figured I'd just stick with what I have since while I'm not crazy about the AF of the K5, mine seems to be much more accurate now that I have it back after being serviced and it's never really bothered me. I'm also not at all interested in full frame, unless they can make one the weight of the K5 (some day they might, but not yet). So I was all for skipping the next camera, but the K5 II piques my interest far more than a 24 mp camera would. And the initial price tag isn't bad, cheaper than what the K5 was initially. I'll be watching the reports from early adopters as they come in with great interest.

I was somewhat interested in the 560 lens, until I saw the price tag. I think my next lens is likely to be the Sigma 150-500, even though its not weather sealed. But I'll most likely wait to see if they come out with the TC that was on their lens roadmap for next year before making a decision. I still want a weather sealed wide angle (really my biggest need/hole, even more than a lens longer than 300) and might have considered the 18-270 if it had WR in its name.
Harriet,

Do you think the quality control on the K5 has heightened since original production to ensure the original AF issues are improved upon? This was my main concern with the camera as I have heard such contrasted reviews of the AF system. I think some of it is fear that if I were to get a used K5, how would I know if it is defectivev unless I had a fully operational frame of reference to compare it to.

A 24 MP does interest me as it is higher resolution. I would never turn my nose at that. Anytime that I can get more pixels per inch means improved Raw detail in the image. I wouldn't be willing to compromise anything out of the current specs for that increase of resolution however. It seems very likely that pentax would indeed reveal a 24mp or FF body down the road but seeing how just about every big name manufacture has been making these for a while now, I can see them taking some precaution when first entering this realm.

I am glad to see they arent just whipping out some FF test subject on the world as it would be hardly competitive with the current nikon/cannon line-up unless it has had major research and testing into the product.

I do hope that Pentax will have plenty of time in this year to be able to perfect and properly mass produce something of this like without any hindrance of their current camera specs. The fact that they unveiled an improved model of the current flagship emphasizes my belief that something bigger and better is coming (in terms of sensor size).

Only time will tell.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote