Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:42 PM   #1

Default Some Roadside Scenes

A significant part of my job this time of year is nature education at our area schools - sharing nature discovery and conservation awareness out on the schoolyard. Whenever possible, I prefer to cycle to the nearby schools (energy conservation in action!), which means some nice opportunities to enjoy the rural roadside scenery here in East Tennessee. Here are some samples from a few recent rides.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:45 PM   #2

September roadsides are rich in varied blooms. Here are Great Lobelia from a roadside marsh, Dodder (a parasitic plant that draws its sustenance from other plants) in a sunny meadow, and Spiranthes (a tiny native orchid) from an unmowed lawn.
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:51 PM   #3

September roadsides are also rich with ripening native fruits. Here are some Elderberries - a favorite with many birds and small mammals. Taken with two very different lenses - which do you prefer?

Also a cluster of ripe red Jack-in-the-Pulpit fruit, and another of its close relative's fruit - Green Dragon. Both the J-in-P and the Gr Dragon fruits are NOT good food for us - they contain calcium oxalate that burns your mouth! Have not seen many "critters" eating these, but something must, else they would not get their seeds carried to new places...
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:53 PM   #4

Foggy early mornings along the roadsides are great for spiderweb watching. Here are a few views of morning fog-drops gemming the orb webs.
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:58 PM   #5

Some of my favorite East Tennessee roadside scenes include old barns and sheds. A chance to admire the craftsmanship of the builder, to ponder the history this landscape has seen, and perhaps to mourn the passing of our rural way of life...
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2012, 7:01 PM   #6

Have been playing with my new (actually very used, but new to me) DA 21 on these barn shots. Here are a few more - would appreciate your opinion on these views/compositions.
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2012, 7:02 PM   #7

Was pleased to see some signs of a fellow traveller near the roadside recently. Our local River Otter population must be improving, for here are some fresh tracks at our local lake, not very far from a rather busy road.
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2012, 7:05 PM   #8

Return trips to the park are usually mid-afternoon. But sometimes it's worth heading down the road later in the day, to enjoy a fine East Tennessee sunset...

(PS - which view do you prefer?)
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2012, 7:08 PM   #9

Hope you enjoyed cycling along on some East Tennessee country roads, and that you will share your comments and critique!
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:38 PM   #10

Amazing series. I really like the Red barn Bokeh shots with the flowers in the foreground. I can't say thats my favorite, its to ohard to pick one but it does stand out with the bright popping color contrasts.

Thanks again!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote