Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:35 AM   #1

Default Zen images from St Jacobs Ontario

I had a walk around in St Jacobs market in Ontario with my rarely used Zenitar 16mm. Some of the images have been defished to some extent

Daniel T O
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:44 AM   #2

Looks like a great place to visit, thanks for sharing.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3

If you have a moment, what is defished?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
If you have a moment, what is defished?

Defish is actually an abbreviation for defisheye effect as shown in this explanation

http://edwinsetiawan.wordpress.com/2...-cs-2-or-cs-3/

Photoshop has it of course. But I did use an ancient version 8 of Paint Shop Pro to do that.

Using fisheye ultra wide angle lens like Zenitar 16mm if used in full frame lens (film camera) has an effect like this (in unprocessed state)

Using crop factor of a standard dslr of Pentax is still wide for the taste of some people

Now this is a defished version of it (or after using defisheye effect ) in straightening most of the lines would be like this that I took with the same lens. It still has some curve. And you should see the foot at the left side of the image which has been squeezed out after defishing.

For most people the latter one is more desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
Looks like a great place to visit, thanks for sharing.

Hans
Thanks for taking time to comment

Daniel, Toronto
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:05 PM   #5

Thanks so much. Funny, people pay lots of money for lenses that do that.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:56 PM   #6

Hi Daniel,

This is a definite departure from your model shoots. . . not that I'm complaining about the model shoots. . .

Is this a permanent market, or a special event?

Regardless -- now I'm hungry. . .

Nice job!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:59 PM   #7

What a great "tour" of the market - Thanks for sharing your fascinating viewpoints!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:38 PM   #8

Cool shots! I need to get out more and really work on getting comfortable with my 10-17, these are really outstanding! The funny thing is that at one time you were using the zenitar a lot, and your pictures got me really interested in a fish-eye. I don't regret getting one, but have yet to get comfortable with mine. Yours are always so impressive.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:26 AM   #9

Great series. I also have the "Z" and unfortunately do not use it as much as I should. It is a great lens and very sharp, it's hard to take a bad picture with it. Sometimes I would like to have more distortion in the images but on the digital camera it is very slight when taking landscape shots. If you get real close to an object then it distorts nicely.

The images you have posted show off the lens nicely!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Cool shots! I need to get out more and really work on getting comfortable with my 10-17, these are really outstanding! The funny thing is that at one time you were using the zenitar a lot, and your pictures got me really interested in a fish-eye. I don't regret getting one, but have yet to get comfortable with mine. Yours are always so impressive.
I know what you meant. The lens was gathering dust while I looking at some other forums (on cellular phone and Hong Kong politics). The great part is that Zen is so easy to handle. And you cannot miss it once when the perspective comes back. I did over compression on the first image. It should be like this almost screaming for attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Great series. I also have the "Z" and unfortunately do not use it as much as I should. It is a great lens and very sharp, it's hard to take a bad picture with it. Sometimes I would like to have more distortion in the images but on the digital camera it is very slight when taking landscape shots. If you get real close to an object then it distorts nicely.

The images you have posted show off the lens nicely!

Lou
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Daniel,

This is a definite departure from your model shoots. . . not that I'm complaining about the model shoots. . .Is this a permanent market, or a special event?

Scott
It is a farmers market new U of Waterloo of Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Thanks so much. Funny, people pay lots of money for lenses that do that.
I bought way back at around $150 shipped. Now it is probably more the less the same. A lot of people go for AF . But with fisheye, all I need to do is to set it to around 3 feet from me and practically everything will be in focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
What a great "tour" of the market - Thanks for sharing your fascinating viewpoints!
If you see most of my Zen shots are from a low point shooting upward with no focusing at all - I just could not get behind the viewfinder at all. And you can figure it out how easy it was

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Sep 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM.