Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:20 PM   #1

Default Ricoh GXR as Second Pentax Camera

Ricoh's GXR has been out for about three years now. I've always thought it was kind of neat but ruled it out as not being that relevent for me. Ratchet forward to a Pentax event in New York City a month or two ago, where I had a chance to hold the GXR in my hands for the first time. I simply fell in love it. Ergonomically, it is perfect for me and the camera feels as though it was carved from a solid block of magnesium. Still, I have both my Pentax DSLR and micro four-thirds kits. Hard to justify a third system.

But... now comes rumors that Ricoh, which of course has owned Pentax for about a year, will be introducing a K-mount module to take Pentax lenses, much like the M-mount module for Leica lenses. I just gave my K200D to my niece, which means the K-5 is my only Pentax camera body. I was thinking about adding either a K-30 or K-5 II body. But it occurs to me the GXR could be my second "Pentax" body and it would be even more compact than a K-5 or K-30. It might even mean I wouldn't need a micro four-thirds kit and longer.

I think the GXR would be perfect for my DA Limited primes and perhaps a smaller zoom. It even has the option of an EVF, which the Pentax K-01 does not. Moreover, I could dump my Canon SX230 comapct travel zoom camera if I picked up the P10 28-300mm module.

Any thoughts?

P.S. There aren't many visitors (read: almost none) to the Ricoh forum so if there are no objections, I'm also posting this in the Pentax forum. if administrators feel one should be deleted, no problem.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:20 PM   #2

G'day Biro

Times have changed ... but I started SLR life with Pentax and soon went to Ricoh K-mount as they better suited me than the 'original'

I would expect that the same will happen today ~ that the Ricoh will be at the forefront, while Pentax has always [to me] seemed very conservative with its designs & features

Go for it mate !!!
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Ricoh's GXR has been out for about three years now. I've always thought it was kind of neat but ruled it out as not being that relevent for me. Ratchet forward to a Pentax event in New York City a month or two ago, where I had a chance to hold the GXR in my hands for the first time. I simply fell in love it. Ergonomically, it is perfect for me and the camera feels as though it was carved from a solid block of magnesium. Still, I have both my Pentax DSLR and micro four-thirds kits. Hard to justify a third system.If it feels right ergonomically that is certainly a positive.

As far as having too many systems, I know from personal experience that it's hard to justify. It's expensive, but I like cameras and that's about the best I can do to justify having multiple systems. Not very convincing, I know.

I used three systems in my film days.

Medium Format, Mamiya TLR system with 3 lenses and accessories. Pentax K mount and Screw mount (M 42)...bodies, lenses, accessories...two mounts...one system or two with Pentax ?

Then there was my Leica Rangefinder, my Yashica 124 G TLR Medium Format.

Now with digital...I have a Pentax DSLR system and a bit of a Canon system...a G 12 and a 430 EX 11 flashgun.

But... now comes rumors that Ricoh, which of course has owned Pentax for about a year, will be introducing a K-mount module to take Pentax lenses, much like the M-mount module for Leica lenses. I just gave my K200D to my niece, which means the K-5 is my only Pentax camera body. I was thinking about adding either a K-30 or K-5 II body. But it occurs to me the GXR could be my second "Pentax" body and it would be even more compact than a K-5 or K-30. It might even mean I wouldn't need a micro four-thirds kit and longer.

I think this sounds like a great idea, as long as the Ricoh has a K mount. Think of the economies of scale...two bodies, one lens mount...many shared lenses.

Maybe dump your 4/3rds system, but only if it make sense money wise. If the resale is not great for the 4/3rds...maybe it would be better to keep. I don't think I've sold any camera equipment, except for one bag.

I think the GXR would be perfect for my DA Limited primes and perhaps a smaller zoom. It even has the option of an EVF, which the Pentax K-01 does not. Moreover, I could dump my Canon SX230 comapct travel zoom camera if I picked up the P10 28-300mm module.

Any thoughts?

P.S. There aren't many visitors (read: almost none) to the Ricoh forum so if there are no objections, I'm also posting this in the Pentax forum. if administrators feel one should be deleted, no problem.
Hope these thoughts are helpful.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Sep 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:33 PM   #4

While it wouldn't surprise me if Ricoh comes out with a K-mount for the GXR, it isn't here yet and hasn't been announced. I wouldn't buy one on the expectation that they are going to come out with one - it would compete with the K01 and do they want to do that at the moment?

I really like the idea of the GXR, it's a wonderful concept. But if you are interested in consolidating systems, I'd wait until they really do come out with the K-mount module. Now if I had a bunch of Leica M lenses, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:31 PM   #5

I've been looking at the GXR to, and I understand what you mean. But I would wait till there is a k-mount and some people have tested it.

Ronny
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the input, all. I have no plans to buy a GXR unless they actually introduce a K-mount module. In the meantime, a Sony NEX 6 with a K-mount module (manual focus, of course) would be another option - especially if the price drops a bit in 2013.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote