Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:32 PM   #11

The Gatorade drop is amazing, looks as though it's floating and the first B/W shot is just wonderful.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:04 AM   #12

Thanks everyone!

NMRecording - I was using a small clear Pyrex bowl for the water container and the drop is reflecting the lettering on the bottom of the bowl (can't remember what it says exactly beyond Pyrex). You can see the lettering on the right side of the picture at bit.

Lou, I tried the IR filter on the K7 on this hike. It really didn't work well - the shutter speeds were multiple seconds instead of just under a second, and the trees weren't right. If you've used the K100 and set a custom white balance to grass, the trees are often (usually) the brightest almost white part of a picture. With the K7 the trees were more or less grey so the camera wasn't picking up much of the reflected IR light. With some processing work I could get it to look similar to the K100 photos, but not the same. I haven't tried using the filter on the K5, figured that there would be no point in it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:37 PM   #13

I like the IR shots, too -- the stark contrast of the light leaves against the dark sky and blackened tree trunks is especially effective.

I can't ID the bush either, Harriet, but as Mole guessed, the fuzzy curly things are the parachute portion of wind-blown seeds, probably of a species of Clematis, which is a vine, undoubtably growing over the bush. The seeds are borne in clusters like dandelion seeds and blow off the seed heads in the wind in the same way.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:05 PM   #14

I thought they might be seed pods, rather like dandelions. I've never seen one quite like it before, with the curly-cues. They were really neat, should head back that way again soon (before they close the road in for winter) to see if they've all blown away.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:17 PM   #15

As it turns out, Harriet, my first guess was incorrect - close, but no cigar! One of my correspondents was late in getting back to me. This bush and its seed plumes are one of the species of native Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus) - that one stubby little green leaf in the picture should have been the giveaway.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:34 PM   #16

Thanks, penolta, for the information. The funny thing is that I was looking at the picture I took of the whole bush and realized that it was unlikely to be a bush covered with a vine. Wonder why they call it mahogany - I always think of trees when I think of mahogany, and this was certainly no tree. I'll have to go back in the spring and see what the flowers are like.

Not sure if I can get back up to that location any more - we've had rain (and Pinos had snow) and the national forest service closes the road into that area in the winter (Grade Valley area).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:38 AM   #17

I really like that last shot ... in fact I love the idea, very cool.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote