Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:49 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
nhmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 5,202
Default can anything be done

Hi all,

A lot going on lately. But, I've been trying little by little to work on my photos from Lou and my recent trip out.

I'm wondering if anything can be done to the orange petals in the background of this image? This one is with nothing in particular done to the petals. On the ones I've tried to fix it, it looks much worse.



Is it just the red having a problem with the filter in the camera?

Thanks for any advice. Patty

And, this one too.


Last edited by nhmom; Sep 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
nhmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 5,202
Default

I'll have to fix the protection tomorrow when my computer is hopefully working a little faster. Keeps bogging down on me tonight. Responding from my phone.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
nhmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 5,202
Default

Okay. Should be able to see them now. Sorry it took so long. Work gets in the way of my fun stuff.

Actually, I posted these backwards from the way I had them last night. No time right now to switch them.

Last edited by nhmom; Sep 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Keltech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Andover, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,178
Default

Patty, I removed the whole object with the content aware tool in PS5. The same can be done with the clone tool but requiring more steps.



Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
nhmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 5,202
Default

Ok. That was quick! I just posted these.

I was trying to do something that would be acceptable to camera club without removing/adding anything to the photo.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,522
Default

Patty - I like these as they are - it helps give perspective on the Monarch's habitat. Did you want to tone down the orange a bit, rather than remove it? If you shot in Raw, perhaps you could "develop" it again, at lower saturation level, and use layer masks...
Perhaps something like this:
Attached Images
 
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:37 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
NMRecording's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern Appalachains
Posts: 866
Default

Patti, I dont see anything wrong with the originals.. I think its just the bokeh of the orange/red tint on the flowers. The reddish part/shading of the petals are just causing a red streak in the bokeh it seems. I think the only thing I would try is a more wide open apeture if shot again- but thats just to taste.

Well done.


Now heres a quick edit I did in CS4 that might help blend it in more so its not as distracting.

NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:43 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

I really like the original photos...don't see anything wrong with them...great bokeh. Your photos of this butterfly are really wonderful, IMO.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Hi Patty, here's my try -- I like PP challenges. . .

I found the bright orange outlines of the OOF petals distracting, so I used the cloning brush in lighten mode to even them out. Then I selected the background flower and used a Gaussian blur of 6 pixels to blur the flower out even further. This caused a dark halo around the flower, so I first evened out the border of the blur with the softening brush, then used the clone brush again in lighten mode to eliminate the dark halo. A light opacity and 0 hardness with the Desaturate brush toned down the color in the flower to make it stand out less. Finally, I denoised the whole shot to even out the background since the selective blur smoothed the selected area out more than the rest of the background.

I doubt if eliminating the flower would have been in the spirit of not changing the image materially, but de-accentuating the objectionable part should not be.

--NMR posted his version while I was typing, so this is a subtle variation. . .

Scott
Attached Images
 
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:34 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
hnikesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,814
Default

I think lScott's fix looks best.

Hans
__________________
Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:09 PM.