Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:45 PM   #1

Default Finnish Lettuja Over an Open Fire

Hi gang! Hey, last weekend I attended our church's youth camp... in this photo you can see one of the young adults, our faithful "lettuja master" hard at work ("lettuja" is Finnish for "crepes"). This shot was take at an ISO of 1600, no tripod. For me, the shot has a little mystery to it, it is not staged shot... you have everyone (except the girl on the left turning her head) with their eyes fastened on the making of lettuja over an open fire. Also, another reason why I enjoyed working with this shot is that I wanted to really explore using Topaz DeNoise 5. I spent nearly an hour just going through a lot of a advanced features and NOT using a preset. Hope you like it. Thanks for looking. Ned

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:33 PM   #2

It is interesting. If you hadn't told me that's what they were doing I would have thought the person in the center was welding something.

Are those sparks? Is she making them in a flat skillet?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
It is interesting. If you hadn't told me that's what they were doing I would have thought the person in the center was welding something.

Are those sparks? Is she making them in a flat skillet?

Patty
Hi Patty! And, Thanks for your comments.

Yes, welding is apt description... There were lots of sparks... you can two with long trails. And the guy in the centre of the photo, he was using a huge flat skillet of sorts... actually it 2 and half feet wide... for making lettuja (crepes). Despite all the movement in this photo, it still gives a mood of watchfulness in the young couple in the back ground... and the two guys to the right... Again, the Topaz DeNoise software was just a lot of fun to explore and use... I think it did an excellent job. Thanks again.

Ned
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:38 PM   #4

An interesting shot. Like Patty, I would have guessed welding when I first looked at it. IN any case, it's very nice - the program did a good job of taking the noise out and I think the picture is very interesting on its own.

While the K7 is noisier than the K5, I think DeNoise does an excellent job with the files, maybe even better than it does with the K5 (which doesn't need much noise reduction until you get over 10,000 ISO).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
An interesting shot. Like Patty, I would have guessed welding when I first looked at it. IN any case, it's very nice - the program did a good job of taking the noise out and I think the picture is very interesting on its own.

While the K7 is noisier than the K5, I think DeNoise does an excellent job with the files, maybe even better than it does with the K5 (which doesn't need much noise reduction until you get over 10,000 ISO).
Yeah, that was some fire! But what a show of how to make "lettuja"/crepes. Last night I was thinking that at the next camp, when we make crepes... I want to have a tripod with me (that will eliminate any camera shake), and if I could use and ISO of 800, I am hoping to get more details in my photo. I have a couple of other ideas too. Anyway, the Topaz DeNoise did do a neat job, thanks. Still enjoying my K-7.

Thanks Harriet.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:45 PM   #6

Hi Ned,

Nice shot!

I too first thought welding, and wondered why nobody was wearing dark goggles --eeek! . . . quite different than making crepes!!

Topax DeNoise is very effective for me. I now do most of my PP work with just DN5 and InFocus. There are a few tutorials on the Topaz site that were very instructive for me, and I've changed my DN5 workflow considerably since I first started using it.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:56 PM   #7

Many thanks Scott! Thanks for having a look and for your kind comments.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:14 PM   #8

I like the shot Ned, open fires are a joy for me to shoot and I love to see other people sharing fire shots. You did a great job with the NR

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 4:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I like the shot Ned, open fires are a joy for me to shoot and I love to see other people sharing fire shots. You did a great job with the NR

Hans
Many kind thanks, Hans! This was a fun photo. All the best. Ned
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:05 PM   #10

Great capture of the emotion and the action - and great use of the denoising software too. Will look forward to seeing the (clearer) photos taken with tripod.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote