Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:39 AM   #1

Default New Pentax K5 II Question

Anyone have an insider info as to weather to hotshoe flash/speed light/TTL flash synch speed issue has been resolved. There is a know issue with the K-5 and using Pentax Speedlights (TTL type flashes) that causes them to flash uncontrollably. Pentax is aware of the issue and said its a known issue with all K-5s. They would not offer to fix the issue when I brought it up and would not say if the K-5 II can use TTL flashes properly.

link to youtube video that shows the problems etc for those who do not know what I am talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zUuc0XNkGA

Thanks in advance. This is the one feature item on my K-5 that bothers me. So it would be the only reason to move up to the K-5 II but I have to be sure the issue will be resolved.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:30 PM   #2

Hi Dave,

I've used my K-5 with a AF 540 FGZ, AF 360 FGZ, Metz 24AF-1 and Metz 15 AF-1 (the last is a remote wireless P-TTL slave ring flash, so it probably doesn't count), and I've never encountered any of the problems shown in the linked video. Note that the video was posted in Jan, 2011.

There have been a few (very few) "white frame" exposures where I'm assuming that the flash just fired at full power, but they were infrequent enough that I don't consider it a problem -- I just realize that it's a remote possibility, and write it off as one of the things that I have to live with when I decide to rely on technology to make things easier.

Although there is evidence that Metz engineers found an incompatibility problem with the 48 AF1 as on another forum an e-mail was cut and pasted that stated that the problem was with the camera and not the flash, and they purposefully excluded the K-5 as being compatible with that model on their web sites (as of 2/2011). It's normal for a company's representative to represent any problem to be not their fault, so it's usually prudent to take such statements for what they're worth. . .

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ml#post1377543

It should be noted that the Metz 48 AF1 is a discontinued model, upgraded to the 50 AF1, and there's a possibility that Metz never bothered to upgrade their firmware for this model for the K-5 since it was slated to be replaced.

If you check the Metz website, the K-5 is shown as compatible with all of their current models. Since it was specifically mentioned in the e-mail that Metz would not claim compatibility with any camera body where it was questionable, then the assumption is that the differences have been worked out, regardless of which product might have been at fault.

In any case, it's really not possible to guess whether Pentax has changed anything in their flash protocols in the K-5IIs as this time since nobody's been able to get their hands on one AFAIK. We'll just have to wait and see.

It's been rumored that Pentax has plans to upgrade their flash gun lineup, and perhaps expand P-TTL system capabilities, but that remains to be seen.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:04 PM   #3

Well with my Pentax TTL flash when its on and I fire the shutter the flash fires uncontrollably till I power off the camera. I have chatted with many on this forum and a couple of others who have similar issues. I will wait to see what the new camera holds. But for me the only flash I have tired that worked is a manual Vivatar that doesn't have any auto or TTl features.....

Thanks for the reply

dave
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:34 PM   #4

I would just send it in Photo 5. I had to service my K20d back in the day and they did an excellent job.

The issue with my camera was actually my fault and they sent it back fixed and did a full clean on it- it came back in way better condition than I sent it at no charge to me.

You said they wouldn't offer to fix it over the phone, but frankly I would just do what I did: send it in as I did with a note attached itemizing the issues, a handwritten thank you note.

I got a phone call within a few days saying it was fixed and in the mail.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:23 PM   #5

finally got someone from tech support that knows there stuff. They told me in clear English that only Pentax TTL P-TTL flashes are supported and third party TTL flashes even if they are set-up to fit on a Pentax such as the one I mentioned I tried will not work properly and they said even the Metz will not work 100% correctly. They told me if the Pentax flash did not work on the camera then in order to get the camera repaired I needed to return both the flash and body. I mentioned I no longer had that flash and nothing I had tired worked properly so far. They replied were sorry but our cameras are set to use our flashes or some older third party manual flashes only (although from what you told us with the pentax flash not working you may have an issue with the hotshoe but with out both the Pentax flash body in our hands from you we can't attempt to see if a repair is needed,). Then they also added before I could aay anything that if the camera is over a year old and the flash over 6 months old I would be charged at least $100 for the repair labor.

BUMMER!

dave
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:36 AM   #6

That's too bad but doesn't seem to gel with my experience. My camera was in warranty when I called them but actually out of warranty (it was that close) by the time they received it. There was still no charge. Sorry to hear of your frustrations. It does make sense for the need to send in the camera and the flash. In order for them to properly experience the issue and troubleshoot it, I can see them wanting to test variable situations which would require both.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote