Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:16 PM   #1

Default Week 28 of 52

September 10 to 16

Early Database (K5, DA 12-24)

Monday found me still thinking about b&w photography. I wasn’t much impressed with what I took outside, but as I was putting away my camera, I noticed something. I’ve seen this every day in the office, but never quite thought of it in terms of photography.

Didn’t take anything on Tuesday.

I was still thinking about b&w on Wednesday at lunch. When I spotted this I wondered what would happen when the meter runs out – does the bike get a ticket as well as the car? (K5, DA200)

Thursday morning I was working away when a co-worker of mine suggested I might like to visit UCLA’s Morgan Center at lunch. I wasn’t the only one who was there:

Of course, it was a very hot summer day, making standing in line for 45 minutes or more a daunting experience.

The door of Morgan Center tells you what’s inside. There’s all sorts of trophies that various teams and individuals have won over the years. (K5, DA200)

Finally, a glimpse of the subject of everyone’s interest. The first thing to notice is the gentleman on the right has nothing to do with UCLA or UCLA athletics. And the large trophy on the table has nothing to do with UCLA nor does UCLA have a team that competes in the sport its associated with.

But none of that mattered, there’s lots of Los Angeles Kings fans on campus. One might not associate California with ice hockey, but that doesn’t stop Kings fans from enjoying seeing the Stanley Cup.

From the high of seeing the Stanley Cup to the low of a delayed, long commute home.

Not a good sight: (iPad)

These next couple of shots were taken with the iPad, I had left the camera in the back of the car (dumb!). I was actually rather surprised that the photos weren’t as bad as I had expected, considering it’s a fixed lens and rather awkward to use. But the “LCD” is sure big!

For those that are familiar with Southern California, this was taken in the Sepulveda Pass. There have been some very destructive fires in this area, the area is surrounded by multi-million dollar homes in Bel Air. The fire department quickly jumped on it with lots of resources and kept it from threatening homes, so all it did was to fray nerves of the commuters trying to get home on a Thursday.

I didn’t manage to take any photos for the rest of the week, a new low for me since I started this project. But it was great to see the Stanley Cup!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:29 AM   #2

Harriet, we only lent you the Stanley Cup for a year you will have to give it back to the Bruins next year LOL. Only kidding, you can send it anywhere but Montreal.

The fire shots brought back memories of the year we left CA. We lived in Granada Hills and the entire San Fernando Valley was ringed with fire.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:06 AM   #3

Harriet I hope you or Lou don't get too attached to that cup, it's coming back to Detroit soon. The file folders are interesting, the burned out background adds to the image. I'm glad we don't get too many brush fires here.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:51 PM   #4

Lou and Hans - I'm beginning to wonder if the Kings are going to be the LAST team to win the cup. Or maybe they'll keep it for two years if they don't play this year. If the past 20 years are any indication, the Kings won't make the playoffs for the next 5 years, so the only way they would keep it for 2 years in a row is if they don't play a season. On the other hand, they really were outstanding in the playoffs and they didn't make huge changes over the summer. Not bad for a team that barely made the playoffs!

I won't grumble if the cup returns to Boston - the person who told me that the cup was going to be on campus is a big fan of the Boston Bruins (couldn't say "Bruins" without the city as UCLA teams are the Bruins too) and I won't have known if she hadn't mentioned it to me. And I can't grumble too badly about Detroit, since that's where the guy who does my taxes is from and is a mild Detroit fan (mostly Kings though). Just as long as those upstart Ducks don't win it again!

Hans - they aren't file folders, they are metal "pages" that hold multiple small strips of typed cardstock with the information on it. I can't imagine the painstaking effort it took to maintain it! Needless to say, it's not up to date - but its occasionally useful as a reference, when my lovely computer database lets me down.

Also interesting that you mentioned the burned out background - I had exposure bracketed a series to do an HDR version where the ceiling wasn't blown out. That didn't work as the background was way too distracting, and the stand got lost. So I ended up using just one of the frames and made sure the ceiling was blown out. There's times when having no information isn't a bad thing.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:12 PM   #5

Like the first two. The low, wide angle is one of my favourite angles...as long as my 'hockey' knees hold out.

The bicycle with the green meter...from high angle works well. The green in a sea of grey ...really makes this pix pop.

Nice to see Lord Stanley's cup displayed in sunny California.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:18 PM   #6

LOL! Les - Dan can relate to your comment, he's had reconstructive surgery on one of his knees, and a shoulder. The shoulder was from hockey and I'm sure hockey contributed to the knee.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
LOL! Les - Dan can relate to your comment, he's had reconstructive surgery on one of his knees, and a shoulder. The shoulder was from hockey and I'm sure hockey contributed to the knee.
I don't doubt it at all. I played community club team hockey from about age 7 to 15 years old as defense. Many years after, I've had one knee operated on and I think the other is not far behind . Hockey can take a toll.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:47 PM   #8

Who knows, you two might have played hockey against each other! Dan also did some reffing as a teenager, but hasn't played since. I learned to skate and play as an adult, really enjoyed it. The women's game, at least at the very low level I played at, was both fun and safer.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Who knows, you two might have played hockey against each other!We might of, though I played mostly city games, just played against a few country teams. I played for two different teams, during the 1950's (about '55 on) and during the first half of the 1960's. Dan also did some reffing as a teenager, but hasn't played since. I can't remember the last time I was on skates...time does fly by. I learned to skate and play as an adult, really enjoyed it. The women's game, at least at the very low level I played at, was both fun and safer.
I've always felt that women's hockey was true to the sport...concentrating on finesse and skill development. Although when I played hockey way back when...skill development was important, but so was the physical contact aspect....hence injuries returning to haunt in later years.

Last edited by lesmore49; Oct 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM.