Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:04 PM   #1

Default Mostly 50mm, Mostly Holston Mountain

A few months ago, I upgraded from Sigma 105 macro to Pentax FA 100 macro. Was so pleased with the improved sharpness and color, that I began searching for a good used FA 50 macro. Found a good, relatively cheap copy - and it is indeed even sharper than its "big brother!"
Was up on Holston Mt recently, and decided to give the "new" lens a proper workout.

Autumn is progressing well here in East Tennessee, and it looks like it will be another fine season for bright autumnal tints. Here are some Red Maple, Blackgum, and Blackberry leaves showing off their fall colors.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:07 PM   #2

Many of our delicate native fern species have already been crisped by frosts. Here are some Bracken fern fronds - lovely patterns even in death...
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:09 PM   #3

Autumn on the mountain means ripening. Here are some ripe fruits of Solomon's Seal and of False Solomon's Seal. Both will soon be disappearing into the mouths of hungry birds, chipmunks, etc.
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:10 PM   #4

Some more views of the dying of autumn - a few "spider snacks" and a frost-nipped Woodland Sunflower.
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:13 PM   #5

But some of our high country blooms are designed to withstand the first few frosts. Here are Brown-Eyed Susan, Gentian, and Goldenrod (with some "furry friends").
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:17 PM   #6

On the way back down the mountain, we stopped to visit a favorite little waterfall at Blue Hole. Autumn is usually our driest season, but this has been much rainier than usual, so the middle falls were flowing well. One of these photos was taken with the FA 50, but I "cheated" and took out the DA 21 for a few different views. (any preferences among these views?)
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:19 PM   #7

Am really enjoying this fine cool autumn, as well as the "new" lens. Hope you enjoyed these few scenes, and that you will share your comments, critique and suggestions!
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:44 AM   #8

Wow that 50 is sharp, got some great shots, as for the waterfalls I like the 3rd best.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:35 AM   #9

Looks like you have a keeper with the 50 mm macro...........Sharp, Sharp, Sharp. I agree with Hans on the waterfall. I like the caterpillar best of all of them.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:26 PM   #10

Well I like them all! That lens is incredibly sharp, beautiful shots, all of them. Don't have a preference with the waterfalls, they are all perfection.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote