Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
Like the photos very much, favorite being the first one.

Maybe someone can teach me a thing or two but I never understood the use of IR filters or modification of cameras for IR use when you can click a button in PP to induce the same effects without the hassle and hindrance on regular shooting.
Maybe you could show me a sample here of a shot PP'd into IR and teach me how to avoid the trouble of and expense of an IR Filter. I am open to any new techniques.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
i love these Lou ! Though think you should have dragged that lamppost out for the shot then replaced it

Now you have started something and I'm going to have to get me one of those IR filters - which brand do you use and have you noticed any difference if you (or Harriet) have used other brands ?

I really like the inverted colour IR shot Harriet.
Kevin, I thought about doing that but on second thought felt I might draw some suspicion digging in a cemetery.

Generally people suggest the Hoya R-72. I know there are some Chinese knock off's that may be worth a try. I have purchase some Chinese Sunset and sky filters and found them less than desirable.

Lou
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I don't normally process my IR shots using the false color means (more or less switching the blue and red channels), but thought I'd try it with one of the ones I took yesterday. I thought this one was interesting - not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. But interesting none-the-less. Both these pictures were taken with the SMC 24mm f2.8 lens - a manual lens. Focus isn't too difficult with such a wide angle - put it almost to infinity and don't have anything very close.

I've not yet used an AF lens with the K5, but with the K100, the camera does pretty well (though again, I've usually been using wide angle lenses).
I did some experimenting with IR shots I took with the K100-D and agree with you that it is not for all images but sometimes makes a bold statement. I find IR more of an art form than photography as all things do not come out well in IR and you have to almost think in IR to have success with it.

Depending on lighting and subject matter I have been able to auto focus but for the most part I remove the filter and manually focus and then replace the filter and shoot.

Here is one of my old false color shots.

Lou
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Forzahibs - Thanks, I think IR would be a nice medium in Scotland with all the beautiful old architecture you have there. The filters are relatively inexpensive and it gives you a whole new kind of shooting experience.

Lou
I actually have one Lou but i've never really tried it . Is it possible to get a pic straight out of camera ? I'm very very limited with Photoshop at the moment
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:48 PM   #15

Forzahibs, the short answer is no. You can shoot in RAW and open the image and convert to B&W and you will then have an image that needs some sharpening and curves adjustments. I am in Maine now and when I get home I will send you a PM that will give you a track to get you started. It may be later next week.

Lou
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:01 PM   #16

Looks good, Lou. I haven't downloaded the ones we took on my card yet. Still having issues with my PSE8 program. Can't even get PSE7 to work. May be time to reinstall Windows and start from scratch. Not looking forward to that. Or, maybe I just need to learn how to use Lightroom finally.

I'll be looking into getting one of the filters. These are cool images.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:51 PM   #17

Patty,

what kind of error message are you getting with PSE8/7?

Theres a lot of quick easy fixes you can try before I would go through all the hassle of reinstalling windows.

It could be as simple as a corrupt file or registry entry that isnt properly getting deleted with a normal uninstall, and there's ways of correcting that.

Let me know cuz I'd hate to see you do all that!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
Like the photos very much, favorite being the first one.

Maybe someone can teach me a thing or two but I never understood the use of IR filters or modification of cameras for IR use when you can click a button in PP to induce the same effects without the hassle and hindrance on regular shooting.
My personal experience is that the one-click IR options in post processing doesn't do the same thing. The one that does somewhat OK is the IR option in photoshop's black and white adjustment layer preset, because it will really lighten the green channel. And foliage is what reflects a lot of infrared light, that's why trees are so light. Most of the time the IR presets change some colors a bit, but doesn't come close to dealing with dark green pine trees correctly.

In addition, using an IR filter will cut through water vapor haze in the atmosphere, making things in the distance look much clearer than they otherwise would be. Did I already post the comparison shot that showed that? It was made up of two shots, one taken with and without the filter, and then blended together.

I use the Hoya R72 filter also. I'd like to buy another one, when I bought mine, I didn't double-check the diameter of the largest lens I wanted to use it on, and ordered the wrong size. It doesn't actually fit any lens I own, but I bought step-up rings so can use it on several lenses (just not one of the ones I had planned on).

You do have to do some manipulation, since the pictures come out of the camera mostly shades of red and orange. I like to use Lightroom for the b&w conversion, but I have used Silver Efex and Topaz Lab's b&w plug-in also. If you want to do the false color type of thing you need PSE or photoshop or something that lets you change the color channels (think PSE has the channel mixer adjustment layer?). I can't check that at the moment.

One of the reasons I like using Lightroom over CS6 is that LR offers extra color adjustments that CS6 does not, most notably CS6 b&w adjustment layer does not offer a separate control for orange, which LR does. But really you can get good results with any of them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Forzahibs, the short answer is no. You can shoot in RAW and open the image and convert to B&W and you will then have an image that needs some sharpening and curves adjustments. I am in Maine now and when I get home I will send you a PM that will give you a track to get you started. It may be later next week.

Lou

I'd appreciate that , thank you

Darren
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:40 AM   #20

Thanks for thata explanation Harriet. The 'one click' IR I was speaking of was in fact the B/W adjustment layer preset. As far as lightroom vs CS6, I have most of the Topaz suite which I like very much so use Photoshop mostly for editing and LR for 'quick fixing' if the exposure needs slight adjustments.

I would use LR more if I could find a way to integrate the plugins into it.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote