Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Default IR with the K-5 and Hoya R-72 filter

I began experimenting with the K-5 and Pentax WR 18-55mm as I have given my K-100D to my Grandson who at 15 is becoming a budding photographer.

The K-5 seems to be a quite capable IR shooter. Live view helps as you can see to frame your picture with the filter on but I find I need to remove the filter to focus in many cases. A tripod is mandatory as the shutter speeds can be long. Wind caused some blur in the trees but summer shooting with this combo will be more fun.

The shots were taken at a local cemetery as it had some foliage left. Our fall here has been underwhelming for foliage and many leaves have been knocked off the trees by the rain and wind we have had.

Critiques and suggestions are welcome as always.

F5.6 20" ISO 100 HDR in PP

F4 30" ISO 80

F5.6 30" ISO 80 HDR in PP

f 5.5 30" ISO 80

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:06 PM   #2

I never thought of combining HDR and ir, I like the results, nice shots

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:43 PM   #3

After you mentioned it, I went out yesterday and tried it. I was really surprised that I got as much reflected IR as I did. It's not as capable as the K100, the shutter speeds are about twice those with the K100 and it doesn't quite get the same quality, but it was hugely better than the K7. I had more difficulty getting the white balance correct since I don't have any grass (used a neighbor's lawn finally, grape leaves didn't quite get it right).

Here's my first attempt:

The funny thing is that I thought I had tried it with the K5, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I had just assumed it would be as bad as the K7. Wrong! Something new to play with...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:41 PM   #4

I love those
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:01 PM   #5

I don't normally process my IR shots using the false color means (more or less switching the blue and red channels), but thought I'd try it with one of the ones I took yesterday. I thought this one was interesting - not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. But interesting none-the-less. Both these pictures were taken with the SMC 24mm f2.8 lens - a manual lens. Focus isn't too difficult with such a wide angle - put it almost to infinity and don't have anything very close.

I've not yet used an AF lens with the K5, but with the K100, the camera does pretty well (though again, I've usually been using wide angle lenses).

Last edited by mtngal; Oct 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:35 AM   #6

Like the photos very much, favorite being the first one.

Maybe someone can teach me a thing or two but I never understood the use of IR filters or modification of cameras for IR use when you can click a button in PP to induce the same effects without the hassle and hindrance on regular shooting.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:41 AM   #7

i love these Lou ! Though think you should have dragged that lamppost out for the shot then replaced it

Now you have started something and I'm going to have to get me one of those IR filters - which brand do you use and have you noticed any difference if you (or Harriet) have used other brands ?

I really like the inverted colour IR shot Harriet.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I never thought of combining HDR and ir, I like the results, nice shots

Hans
Hans the HDR was a new twist for me but I also liked the result. I think with IR it is so surreal to begin with that anything goes. The HDR was not in camera but with Photoshop.

Lou
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
After you mentioned it, I went out yesterday and tried it. I was really surprised that I got as much reflected IR as I did. It's not as capable as the K100, the shutter speeds are about twice those with the K100 and it doesn't quite get the same quality, but it was hugely better than the K7. I had more difficulty getting the white balance correct since I don't have any grass (used a neighbor's lawn finally, grape leaves didn't quite get it right).

The funny thing is that I thought I had tried it with the K5, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I had just assumed it would be as bad as the K7. Wrong! Something new to play with...
I tried a little IR with the K-7 and noticed that the exposures were longer but my trials were with the camera resting on my tripod hand held and the shots blurred but I could see that I achieved an IR image. It was too much of a hassle to get the Acra plate off the K-5 because I have a Candapter strap on it.

Lou
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:32 AM   #10

Forzahibs - Thanks, I think IR would be a nice medium in Scotland with all the beautiful old architecture you have there. The filters are relatively inexpensive and it gives you a whole new kind of shooting experience.

Lou