Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:13 PM   #11

This is very exciting news indeed Mole. Congratulations to all the people of Tennessee for protecting this wonderful natural area. I'm very sorry to say that I see news stories from some northeastern states talking about how budget cuts are so severe that their legislatures are considering selling off some state parks to developers. What a delight to see Tennessee taking such bold forward-looking action.

And please, continue to show us the treasures contained in this wilderness.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:18 AM   #12

Congratulations. In California, parks are being closed. A few have been saved by counties, cities and private companies, or combinations, taking them over, but it's grim.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:17 PM   #13

NMR - Glad you enjoyed Cummins Falls as well as the good news!

Hans - Thanks so much. I have another batch of photos from another part of Rocky Fork from a few weeks ago, but have been too busy lately to PP them yet...

Ned - So glad to be able to share a little in the memories. Do you know where in Tennessee your Dad spent most of his time? Perhaps I can get there for some photos for you sometime.

MtnMan - So sad to hear of the effects of budget problems, and hoping they are able to resolve this in some less extreme and final manner. We had some problems several years ago with temporary closings of parks, but no such problems lately.

Pboerger - Hate to hear of this, and hoping/praying that the situation in CA improves...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:07 PM   #14

Kudos to TN for taking this bold action to preserve its natural resources. I hope I will have the opportunity to see more of this great looking wilderness area through your cameras lens.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:01 PM   #15

Lou - I have another more recent batch of photos from Rocky Fork, but have been too busy to sort through them - perhaps next week sometime...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I hope we get a chance to visit often thru your eyes, nice shots mole, as always I like the way you treat the water falls, great shots of Cummins Falls

Hans
My feelings exactly.

It is shocking to hear PB's comments and delightful to hear of your new NP.

Luckily as environmental awareness grows in China we are seeing more and more areas, both vast and small, dedicated to wildlife and nature reserves (and tourism but that is a necessary 'evil' in having these areas designated as NPs in many cases).

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:22 PM   #17

Kevin - So good to hear of the conservation successes there in China. To me, tourism (properly managed) is an important component - people who experience first-hand the richness of wild places are much more likely to seek to protect them...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Kevin - So good to hear of the conservation successes there in China. To me, tourism (properly managed) is an important component - people who experience first-hand the richness of wild places are much more likely to seek to protect them...
All true - however :

The autumn holiday was longer than usual, running for eight days through Oct. 7, because the Mid-Autumn Festival and China's National Day came side by side this year, on Sept. 30 and Oct. 1, respectively.
During this period, the government temporarily lifted fees on toll roads across the country and lowered admission prices at 174 tourist spots in an attempt to boost domestic consumption.
In one respect, these steps were a success. According to statistics released by the government on Oct. 8, 425 million people in the country went out for sightseeing during the period, generating 210.5 billion yuan (2.6 trillion yen, or $33 billion) in tourism revenues. Both numbers were up more than 40 percent from last year.
But the huge number of visitors led to confusion, chaos and even crime at many of their destinations.
At the Mingsha Shan sand dunes near Dunhuang, Gansu province, almost 8,000 people each day flocked to a camel ride service across the dunes. The animals were reportedly forced to toil from 5:30 a.m. through 10:30 p.m., with two of them dying from overwork.
At Mount Hua in Shaanxi province, one of the country's five noted mountains, thousands of tourists were stranded on the mountain until late at night, as the ropeway and bus transportation were unable to handle the huge crowds.

From a girl's blog :

Bad things are happening in Mount Hua, they have stopped selling tickets and police have entered the mountain. All public transportation to Mount Hua is now cut. Many people are trapped on top of the mountain. Over-crowding for the down-hill transportation system. Riots may take place as all the down-hill paths are blocked with people. People are squeezing, cursing and fist-fighting… I am scared. I want to go home.

Night comes and there are still thousands of tourists stuck on top. Riots did happen - some tourists were hitting the cars to express their anger and tourist buses dared not enter the mountain. There are so many elderly and children, someone should go there and help them out. The paths are so dark at night and weather so cold. The hilly paths are dangerous and filled up with people. No food and no shelters, save the elderly and children first. Act quickly.

Take a look at the traffic jams (this one in Shenzhen but in Shanghai it was taking cars 8 hours to go 100kms - as reported on the Chinese TV we saw.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-holidays.html

We always stay at home during National Holidays !

However here is my favourite birding location and the efforts they are making to protect the many rare birds in this area :

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ph..._131985143.htm

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote