Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Default November Challenge - Flash

Flash is one of those things that I'm horrible with. For some reason I just don't get something about it. So this is an excuse for me to try to get a handle on it. There's all sorts of things you can do with flash - slow speed sync, trailing curtain flash, bounced flash, diffusing the on-board flash, wireless flash, using the on-board flash as a controller only, fill flash, etc.

If you use one of the more unusual methods, it would be nice if you include a bit of explanation of how you did it, but not necessary.

Usual rules apply, pictures must be taken with a Pentax or Samsung dSLR. We've never really talked about it, but I think the challenge should be open to all of the Pentax interchangeable lens systems (K01, Q etc.). If someone disagrees, please speak up.

Reason for edit - forgot which month we are in, the time is flying by.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:29 AM   #2

I like the idea. Other than trying the flash out when I first got the Kx, I have never used it. It's about time.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3

To start off, I'll post this one. It doesn't really qualify because it's not sized 800 pixels on the long side (it's smaller) but I'm not going to resize it. I hope I take something else this month, rather than depending on something I took in the past. But I wanted to post it to show that it really is possible to do something with the on-board flash. I took it with a piece of paper held up in front of the flash to diffuse it, and since I was fairly close to the figure and I didn't want the light to show the distracting background, I also turned the flash down, though I don't remember what Ev I used (I took several, experimenting). The other thing I discovered was that you really have to be careful about the paper you use - I happened to be holding an old, yellowed piece of paper that had one of Mom's recipes written on it (one she had written probably when I was a small child). As I got ready to take a quick snap of the figure I thought I might as well try putting a piece of paper in front of the flash. Without much thought I held the recipe sheet in front of the flash, slightly at a distance from it. The results were dreadful - a yucky brown color. This was taken with a piece of new bright, white paper, a much better result.

It taught me that the on-board flash could, with a little thought and experimenting, be useful.

Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Im not sure if I will use this for the challenge..I used a metz 50 on HSS..

Last edited by dane/dawg; Nov 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM.
dane/dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5

Great topic for the challenge, and two great photos already. Hope to have time to participate, but no suitable photos yet...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:01 PM   #6

Hey, I love the topic. Long time no-post. Just trying some stuff out.

Here's a shot I took this past summer. Basically I put the flash right underneath the bottle of beer. I wanted to see if I could take a picture with the light coming from the beer itself with the light making the beer seem to glow.

I've got another idea based off of this that I might try out next week. If it is successful, I'll probably switch that picture in for the challenge.

Link to where I have it in my Flickr stream. [ link ]
Attached Images

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Nov 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:05 PM   #7

Excellent photo tacticdesigns
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:04 AM   #8

A great start to the month's challenge! I still haven't had a chance to try anything yet.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:23 PM   #9

Come on people, we need some more photos..
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:24 PM   #10

Default Dark Cave

As soon as flash came up, I thought of Pluto Cave, a lava tube cave near Mount Shasta. I lucked out that other people were present so you can get an idea of how big it is. At the point of shot, it is almost pitch dark with the entrance far in the distance. Note the flashlight in the woman's hand. Not quite as spectacular as I had hoped, but you are seeing a view of the cave never before seen.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote