Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:12 PM   #1

Default Battery AA

What is the newest Pentax DSLR model that used AA batteries?
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofa View Post
What is the newest Pentax DSLR model that used AA batteries?
K30 has option of using AA's.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:34 PM   #3

The K30 and Kr can use a AA adapter or the included Lithium battery, the Pentax adapter is about $35 and the China E bay is about $9. Both work very well.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:10 AM   #4

Thanks, is the Kr considered an upgrade from my K2000 (which works fine just fyi)
Old Nov 8, 2012, 2:18 PM   #5

While I don't have either the K2000 or Kr, I'm not all that convinced the Kr would be much of an upgrade, at least from what I've read. There are some added features and the sensor is better. If your K2000 is still working well and there's nothing in particular that's bothering you about it, I'm not sure it would be worth the extra money. However, from what I can tell, the K30 would be a very big upgrade.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:24 PM   #6

I have both the K2000 and the Kr. I do consider the Kr much better than the K2000. The Kr is faster, has focus points visible in the finder and is much better in low light. It also has live view, shoots HD video, and has a larger lcd. After using my Kr I realized how poor the focus on my K2000 was. Fixed it using debug focus adjust. It also has a much faster shot to shot time.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:38 PM   #7

I have the K-m (same as K2000), but not the KR. I have a friend who has the KR and it's a nice little camera....but so is my Km. I use it along with my K10D and K-5.

The KR was introduced after the Km and the KM was touted as a basic camera.

The KR is further along the evolutionary trail than the Km and as such has more advanced features, in addition can do video (I believe...check though).

But technology marches on. Another friend has a the recently introduced K30 and finds the K30 superior in many respects to the KR.

In this era of fast paced development of digital cameras, it seems that ever advancing technology conspires to make the latest, greatest thing obsolete...or at least 'old' fairly quickly.

But older does not mean lousy. I still use my going on 7 year old K10D and 3 year old Km a fair amount and although they don't have the latest technology...the photos they take are excellent.

If your happy with your K2000....keep it. If you want video and a more advanced Pentax...I would recommend looking at the K30, over the KR, if it's within your budget.

The K30 is weather sealed, has an excellent sensor and as it has close to the latest in advanced technology.

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:15 PM   #8

The sequence was the K2000 (Km), Kx, then Kr and the K30

Hans

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
The sequence was the K2000 (Km), Kx, then Kr and the K30

Hans
Hans,

Sorry for the confusion.

When I wrote "The Kr was introduced after the Km and the Km (K2000) was touted as a basic camera."...I didn't mean to imply that the Km came directly after the Kr, I was indicating that the Kr was a model that came out after the Km insofar as the evolutionary trail was concerned .

Now that I look at it, I can see how my sentence could be misinterpreted.

Les
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:02 PM   #10

I appreciate the input.

I like my K2000, it does everything I want so far.
Video is not that big a deal for me, one thing I wanted was to be able to take time lapse photographs. K2000 has no where (I can find) to plug a timer in. Nor can I seem to find one that "works" with the K2000.
But I do like the AA batteries, and hate the proprietary types.
So I was just tossing around the options.

Maybe I should just get a focus screen for my K2000 to help my old eyes focus when doing Macro.