Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1

Default Oh well. . . so much for waiting. . .

Hi All,

I had definitely made up my mind to wait at least a few months to order a K-5 IIs. Th added low light AF sensitivity is the most attractive new feature for me since I commonly use slow combinations of long telephotos and TCs. the K-5 works fine, but SAFOX X could make a difference. . . just rationalizing. . .

Anyway, with B&H's Black Friday deal of $250 off ($1049), I just couldn't pass. I'll probably be proved wrong, but I think it's unlikely it will be available for this price for quite a while. . . more rationalization. . .

I saw the very late last night when it posted, and put the K-5 IIs, Extended Warranty, and WR IR remote in the basket, but waited until I could talk to my local B&M dealer to see if he'd be willing to at least come close to the deal. He wasn't, so I returned to B&H to check out, but their stock had sold out, so I'll have to wait a bit. . . no big deal since I had previously decided to hold off for a few months. . . but it kinda puts a damper on (almost) immediate gratification and the feeling of anticipation. . .

Anyway, when I get it, I can send in my K-5 for the complimentary cleaning and check up I get with the extended warranty that I had gotten for it. . . even more rationalization . . . -- and I'll have all winter to experiment and play with the new body before I really "need" it.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:53 PM   #2

You will be glad you got it. Enjoy it over Christmas and beyond

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastorbbc/
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:19 PM   #3

I’m envious Scott

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:19 PM   #4

Early this morning I ordered one, but then cancelled later on. On discussing it online, there is some thought that for people (and wildlife) and architecture, the moire might be a problem, but for landscape and macro it would be perfect. Since I would be using the camera as all-purpose, I decided to wait and either order the K-30 or K-5 II. Any thoughts, other than I'm crazy?
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:40 PM   #5

Scott, I'm looking forward to your photos with the K-5 11s. I bought my K-5 a year ago and have been very pleased with it.

I've read and listened to others re; the 11s and I must say I'm intrigued. I've seen some photo's and the clarity seems excellent.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:29 PM   #6

Congratulations Scott. I have no doubt you'll make very good use of the new camera. I'll be very much interested in your thoughts of how the sensor performs without an A/A filter.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Hi Pastorbbc, Hans, Les, and mtnman,

Thanks!

I'm hoping that this is a good fit. Some are looking forward to a K-5 replacement (K-3) early next year, but I'm kinda thinking that if this happens, it's more likely than not going to have the 24MP sensor, and I've not seen anything that convinces me that this is the way I want to go. !6MP is very good for my purposes, and this will probably be considerably less expensive than a new from the ground up replacement model. . .

Scott
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
Early this morning I ordered one, but then cancelled later on. On discussing it online, there is some thought that for people (and wildlife) and architecture, the moire might be a problem, but for landscape and macro it would be perfect. Since I would be using the camera as all-purpose, I decided to wait and either order the K-30 or K-5 II. Any thoughts, other than I'm crazy?
Hi MacBook,

I primarily shoot birds, bugs, and people, so I'll soon find out how accurate the theorists who say that a sensor without the AA filter will cause problems with these subjects -- or at least the birds and people. . .

Nothing I've read convinces me that this is going to not work out -- my gut says that the naysayers are wrong, and trusting my intuition about these things works out much more reliably than listening to people who don't shoot anything near what I do. I have some places where I can shoot captives, so I'll get some real life experience soon after I get the new body. There's really virtually no risk since B&H has a very liberal return policy, and I should be able to see if this will be a good fit right away. If worse comes to worse, and I go over the allowable shot count or return period, then find it won't work, I can probably still sell it for close to what I'm paying since it's a brand new model, and the discount is pretty steep.

This should be interesting. . .

Scott
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Pastorbbc, Hans, Les, and mtnman,

Thanks!

I'm hoping that this is a good fit. Some are looking forward to a K-5 replacement (K-3) early next year, but I'm kinda thinking that if this happens, it's more likely than not going to have the 24MP sensor, and I've not seen anything that convinces me that this is the way I want to go. !6MP is very good for my purposes, and this will probably be considerably less expensive than a new from the ground up replacement model. . .

Scott
I'm not so sure Scott. Since I bought the D800 (and put a Sigma 500 and Zeiss primes on it) I'm in heaven. The resolution (and cropping power) is astounding and for birding this makes a huge difference to the number of keepers and the distance at which I can shoot them.

I'd have thought the the K5 would be similar (being x1.5 crop sensor and with the DA*300 and also some Zeiss and Pentax Ltd primes) but it's nowhere near, even though I love my K5 and still use it (mostly for work but it's still the camera I carry around with me when I have nothing special planned).

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:36 AM   #10

Scott, please keep us up to date on how the K-5 IIs works out - I think more than a few of us are highly interested in the results you get and the answer to the moire question. And congratulations on your purchase. So you won't get it this week. No problem - you'll get it for Christmas.

Myself, I was eyeing the same deal. But I gave in to this week's K-01 body deal for $314. My K-5 was a year old in August and it works just fine. I'll probably use the K-01 with primes only for a lot of indoor use and maybe things like family picnics and barbecues.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote