Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1

Default Watchtower Collage

I decided today that I'd try my hand at a collage, one more complicated than a 3 frame progression. This is definitely not my "thing", I'm not at all artistic that way. Also, while I find them sometimes very effective, for the most part I find myself being neutral about them. I chose for my first attempt to take a number of shots taken at one location, taken a couple of days apart. I understand that there's software out there designed specifically for doing this, but I decided to do it myself in CS6 - doing my own resizing and placing. The exterior shots are paired.

I'd really like some feedback about it. And I wasn't very bright, I forgot to save the file with all the layers so that I could change it easily. I'm going to have to go back to the beginning if I want to make changes (though it didn't take me all that long, probably shows, too).

All comments and suggestions will be very appreciated.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2012, 9:35 AM   #2

Overall I like it, just one little distraction for me is the 4 images at center right join in a common point. I think some overlap might help. Somehow I missed the watchtower on my visit, I am sorry I did.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:44 PM   #3

I like it.

Reason...you have different pics about the same general subject, which vary from inside shots, landscapes, cultural, wall paintings, etc....different weather conditions...which add to variety and colour (snow-no snow). I like the central photo of the light emanating from the Indian vase...pulls the collage together , IMO.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:54 PM   #4

Hans, Thanks for the specific feedback, I hadn't thought about the 4 corners being distracting (as I said, graphics and stuff like this is way out of my comfort zone and I really have no idea what the rules are for layout). I'll have to think about how to avoid that, thought about moving the other horizontal interior shot up, but think that might not work.

We were staying on the east side of Flagstaff, so it seemed easier for us to go to the canyon this way. I was glad it was as the tower was interesting and the views wonderful.

Les, I also think that the pot light fixture photo is nice, it was my favorite interior shot.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:55 PM   #5

Many very interesting perspectives, fascinating contrasts, and well thought-out arrangement. I am not so distracted by the 4 corners (maybe more so after Hans pointed it out!). But wonder if the image in the lower left might do better if swapped with photo just to right of it - the snow keeps drawing my eye to that corner. On the other hand, it does make a nice juxtaposition with the top left pair... (you can tell I'm no graphic designer either!)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote