Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Melodrama Returns (please boo the villain)

The audience had to be coaxed out of its politeness, but eventually began lustily booing the villain, Simon Darkway, when our high school presented an old-fashioned melodrama, "Love Rides the Rails," last weekend. The melodrama had everything a pretty girl and her old grandmother, worried about the railroad stealing the deed to their ranch

There were handsome railroad men and dastardly henchmen to the villain

But, Simon Darkly dominated, and his evil knew no bounds.... attacking from behind, spying, and delighting with his evil plans....

But, as in every good melodrama, Simon got what was coming to him in the end as the hero sent him flying

You may boo him to your heart's content. It was a fun evening.

All shots with the K5..... most of them with the 18-135 WR, but closeups with the Tamron 70-300. I was amazed at how nice these turned out and just how capable the K-5 really is.... I shot at ISO 5000 and ran a low power pass through Noiseware, but just simply didn't see noise.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:13 AM   #2

Well done..
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3

Wow! Very nice photos! You certainly got great clarity and detail. I'll do a bit of noise reduction at that ISO, but they usually don't need much.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:13 PM   #4

I shoot a lot of events. These are very well done. Crop the last one (include the feet on the stage) and you would have a classic. K5 without a prime? Much more camera than I had thought.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5

Paul, these are great, and they bring back some wonderful memories. Both my kids were involved with the drama program when they were in high school, and I sat through many delightful performances during those years. The lighting in our high school auditorium was awful, and I always came home with very noisy photos that were nearly unusable. These are very clear and a great testament to the K5's low light ability, and perhaps a testament to the superior lighting at your school.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:31 PM   #6

Boo for the villain!

Hurrah for the K5!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:22 PM   #7

What a great job - both the photographer and the actors!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I shoot a lot of events. These are very well done. Crop the last one (include the feet on the stage) and you would have a classic. K5 without a prime? Much more camera than I had thought.
I was stunned when I saw how well the Tamron 70-300 f/4.0-f/5.6 did stretching in for the closeups. It was the first time I had pushed the camera that far in low light. One of my students was shooting with my K-7 and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, one of my favorite lenses, and she couldn't match my overall quality, even shooting down around ISO 2000.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Paul, these are great, and they bring back some wonderful memories. Both my kids were involved with the drama program when they were in high school, and I sat through many delightful performances during those years. The lighting in our high school auditorium was awful, and I always came home with very noisy photos that were nearly unusable. These are very clear and a great testament to the K5's low light ability, and perhaps a testament to the superior lighting at your school.
Testament is to the camera; our school's lighting is terrible.

Paul
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:27 PM   #10

Well it will tell you what an excellent job both shooter and camera did because I was following, and enjoying, the story rather than looking for deficiencies in either.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote