Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1

Default pENTAX k-5II VSW k-5IIS

I am in need of buying a back-up D-SLR body. I already have the K-5 with Simga 18-250mm, Tamron 28-75mm f/2,8 and 50mm 1,4. I will use it for shooting weddings, some news stuff and some portraits. What I am confused about is whether the K-5 ii or iis is better for wedding work. I am hearing views and reviews going both ways. I heard the K-5iis is sharper but lacks the filter and has some color spec patterns on some images, then I heard the K-iis is tack sharp in low light with no issues. One reviewer said the k-5iis is worth more than the extra $100 price over the k_5ii and another reviewer said the K-5ii is a far better camera and lower price.

Ok someone is gonna ask what is it about the K-5 I don;t like to make me want the K-5ii series. Well I need a back-up body/second body and in about 10% of my shooting which is in low light I wish it focused faster. I do like the images for the most part from the K-5 but thinking if I get another body why not get the best and make the K-5 my second/back-up. I have a budget of $1500 for whatever gear I end up getting. I already have plenty of memory cards and batteries for the K-5. The other lens I want at some point is a 70-200mm f/2.8 but that is not in the budget right now if I get another body.

So those who have shot the K-5ii series what do you suggest I do and why? Also if the images are sharper in the K-5iis what are the draw backs of no filter in the camera will I have major issues and spend time editing images to get the colors right vs shooting same lens and setting with the K-5ii? Or is the K-iis sharp wirh no issues and.

I don't understand what the effects good or bad are of not having the filter in the iis vs having the filter in the ii model.

Would like to get my facts straight and research so I can buy in Feburary.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:54 AM   #2

Hi Photo 5,

If you're going to do wedding work, I think it's a no-brainer -- get the K-5 II and not the "s". Wedding party clothes will probably make what is a very rare occurrence of moire, something that might become a concern. It will still be relatively rare, but it will occur more often, and it will be with paid work.

Moire is caused by the perfect confluence of a very regular pattern, pattern size, angle and distance to subject. It really can't be anticipated or avoided. It shows up as either dark swirly patterns/stripes, or the same patterns with colors where they should not be. There are apparently software solutions that help eliminate these, but I really don't know how effective they are, and I really don't know if those who have touted them on various fora have actually used them.

Personally, I bought a K-5 IIs, mainly for AF sensitivity and to experiment with the unfiltered sensor for my own edification. Though the regular patterns in birds' feathers might cause moire in some of my images, I don't get paid for what I shoot, and the most it will cost me is some disappointment and/or some significant time to fix -- and I actually enjoy this kind of stuff. If I were getting paid, I wouldn't take the chance that any of the images I was shooting might take some significant time in PP to correct, or might ultimately be ruined. The very tiny amount of blur produced by the AA filter should be able to be offset by relatively minor deconvolution sharpening. This degree of difference is really important only to those who constantly obsess about IQ, and really won't make much of a real difference for working photographers since the only time it really would be visible is in very large prints.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:17 PM   #3

Thanks Scott for the great answer

dave
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:34 AM   #4

Evening Photo 5,

I have to agree with Scott, for exactly the same reasons. Over on another website, there are some examples of moire with shirts and other pieces of clothing, along with other textile items such as drapes, blinds etc. that show up in images. Even though you would gain some slight increase in resolution and detail with the IIs, you would not find the instances of moire until after the shoot - and it would be difficult to redo a wedding. There are some utilities to help remove it, but its difficult in post processing - and time consuming. It would just be safer to go with the II. The IIs is primarily for landscapes etc. where moire should not be a problem.

Given that, the II would still provide you with better AF especially in low light conditions. The II should be all positive with out any of the negatives.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the additional answer. I appreciate the way you both explained your answers and it is clear after what you said and little more research that for wedding work the K-5ii will give me better AF in low light and better AF lock-on the first image in bursts. It sounds like the K-5ii is the winner.

dave