Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Default Lock picker

I dropped my wife and daughter at the airport for the 2nd straight morning (yesterday's connecting flight was cancelled, so it was spend the night at home or in Cleveland) and was surprised to find this individual at the front door. It is a cold morning, but after all...

I have no macro lens for the K-5IIs (yet) so just experimented with the 18-55. Sharpening a bit was the only PP.

I hope it is okay, but I do have a minor macro lens for the Olympus EM-5 (kit 12-50) and here is what I was able to capture with it, no PP.

Last edited by MacBook; Dec 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:39 PM   #2

Interesting comparison. The macro on the Oly did an outstanding job. It doesn't surprise me that a prime macro would outperform the kit lens. While its pretty decent, it is just a kit lens. I liked my kit lens, but after I started to get some better lenses, I realized that it was somewhat limited. I now tend to shoot with mostly primes, and I've gotten quite spoiled.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #3

Actually, the Olympus lens is a zoom, too, at 12-50mm (24-100mm FOV equivalent). It is a kit lens, albeit it lists for more than twice the retail price of the Pentax 18-55 WR. It has a fixed macro at 43mm and "offers 0.36x magnification and a minimum close-focusing distance of 20cm, or 8 inches."
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:59 PM   #4

Interesting to see the difference, both in capture of detail and in tones. Also interesting to see a dragonfly out so late in the year!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote