Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:31 PM   #1

Default Glass

Just an exercise I tried after reading great book about light. If you into studio work and close up I can't recommend it enough (actually the only photography book I've read from cover to cover) - Light Science and Magic.

Could have done it better if I had one more flash (ebay here I come).

All comments welcomed.

Greg

Pentax K-3 II, DA 50/1.8, Vivitar S1 105/2.5 macro, Tamron 70-200/2.8, Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:58 PM   #2

With a title like that, I had to look.

Nice. Nice capture of detail! 'love the reflection too!

What are you using as a diffuser?

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:08 PM   #3

Very nicely done. One of the thing I'd like to do is learn more about flash. I've been looking into flash triggers, to get the flash off-camera without cables so I could use one in daylight as fill flash or for macro outside.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:30 AM   #4

Light setup is quite simple:
Flash inside big light tent (could be behind white sheet)
Black card in front standing against it with black gloss acrylic in front.
When shoting black card has to exactly fill the frame. If it doesn't you won't have pure black background, if it's too big you won't get nice reflactions.
You have to shoot at the same level as the glass is, if you go higher you won't get any reflections.

If I had another flash I would put it to the left of that glass with umbrella attached to it. That would give me nice highlights on the surface. I'll probably get one off ebay next payday .

I have Metz 48 flash which works wirelessly with K7 flash as controller. Slave in manual mode at 1/4 power with camera set at f8.
I can take photo of this setup if you want.

As for off camera flash:
Metz works as slave in pTTL and M mode without triggers. I've not tried it outside but inside it was triggered even when behind umbrella and camara behind doors. For macro I use cheap radio trigger from amazon (cheapest I could get) but flash will only work in M mode, there are no pTTL triggers AFAIK.

For learning flash I would recommend this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understandin...7028852&sr=1-1

This for in learning more about light http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Scienc...7028907&sr=1-1

Greg

Pentax K-3 II, DA 50/1.8, Vivitar S1 105/2.5 macro, Tamron 70-200/2.8, Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art

Last edited by gfurm; Jan 1, 2013 at 2:32 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfurm View Post
I can take photo of this setup if you want.
I for one would greatly appreciate that. That would be cool!

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:58 PM   #6

Stunning.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:36 PM   #7

Very nicely done!

Another vote for a photo of your setup.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:32 AM   #8

Here's the set up

flash is inside the tent and you have to shoot from table level and fill the frame with black card to get nice reflections.

I'm waiting for second flash I got from ebay, when it comes I'll try again trying to get some fill reflections on side of flass.

Greg

Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:27 PM   #9

So flash is inside the tent, while the glass is outside and in front of the tent, right? The tent diffuses the light, and the black card blocks the light from the glass?

Where are you going to put the other flash?

I think this is very cool, by the way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:30 PM   #10

Yes.
Since the glass is see through and very reflective you can't just light it from fornt, there won't be any definition to it (this one you probably could, it got etched designs all over it that help define shape and edges, but plain glass would come out rubbish).

Lighting it from the back and behind that balck card gives it edge definition. If the tent was larger reflection you see on the sides would be wider. Same would happen if you moved the glass closer towards camera. Second flash can be used from front and side at low power so the background stays black but you get some reflections on the front of that galss to help define shape of it.

You also have to shoot from the same level as the table to get any reflections. If you go higher and shoot down no light reflecting from glass will reach your camera.

It's possibe to shoot this reversed, white background with black edges on the glass but it didn't work well for me. Can't get the reflections right for some reason.

When I get the second flash I post some more photos and different camera angles results if anyone interested.

Greg