Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:31 PM   #1

Default Baby image - Zenitar 16mm FE

Image of my close relative. She is adorable and I am happy with an old lens

Large file warning

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/imag...2/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/imag...3/original.jpg

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2

She is indeed adorable, Daniel and resolved beautifully with that 'old' USSR lens.

The first time I've done this: I downloaded the pbase image, whipped it into FastStone, downsized it to as close as the size displayed here and found a small, but noticeable increase in sharpness.

As a non-techie, I'd like to know why.

But as far as I'm concerned, none of this detracts from my original delight on seeing the pic for the first time!!

And you can give the little girl a hug from me :-)).

Scoot (Oliver).
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
She is indeed adorable, Daniel and resolved beautifully with that 'old' USSR lens.

The first time I've done this: I downloaded the pbase image, whipped it into FastStone, downsized it to as close as the size displayed here and found a small, but noticeable increase in sharpness.

As a non-techie, I'd like to know why.

But as far as I'm concerned, none of this detracts from my original delight on seeing the pic for the first time!!

And you can give the little girl a hug from me :-)).

Scoot (Oliver).
Scott

Thanks. You must have done some pp work (post processing) on the original jpg. Very likely your software has sharpened the image after resizing.
The fisheye effect of the curve (of the lens) gives the baby a bit of chubbiness and huggability (if there is such a word).

This one came from a smart phone

Photography needs surprise for the image to pop. And I believe this one works too

Daniel
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:56 PM   #4

I can see why you're a very proud grandpa, Daniel!
Agree with your remark about surprise. Someone said "I try to take pictures about something, not of something". You live up to that with these pictures. Glad to see your Zeni is still alive and kicking.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:47 PM   #5

Daniel, Although FastStone has a sharpener, I didn't touch it. Must be one of those algorithms I've read about!.

For a cameraphone the second pic is really good and as for the subject matter........

I've had a quick look at your pbase gallery and by golly you have some nice photos there which are right to my taste. I'm not fond of some of the pretentious arty-crafty stuff I see around the 'net; I much prefer the honest-to-God pics like your examples. The ones I looked at I see were taken with either a *istD or K100D. I have a K110D and the two kit lenses which are ideal for my needs. I also have some other M42 lenses including the f1.4 from my now retired Pentax Spotmatic 35mm camera and bought a beautifully machined K-M42 adapter which allows infinity focus for LESS than 6 from China.

Thanks for posting, Daniel .

Scoot.
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:30 PM   #6

What a cutie! Would never have thought to use fisheye for portraits, but it sure does work well here. Of course, with such a beautiful subject (and such a talented photographer), any lens would work...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:17 AM   #7

Kjell

The old lens just refuses to get to the shelf gathering dust. It is indestructible.

Mole

Thanks for inflated compliment. Nonetheless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
Daniel, Although FastStone has a sharpener, I didn't touch it. Must be one of those algorithms I've read about!.

...... I also have some other M42 lenses including the f1.4 from my now retired Pentax Spotmatic 35mm camera and bought a beautifully machined K-M42 adapter which allows infinity focus for LESS than 6 from China.

Scoot.
The original was jpg - more than scrambling. Resizing definitely scrambled the image again.
Some of the older lenses are just insanely beautiful to work on.

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Jan 9, 2013 at 6:31 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:31 AM   #8

What a cutie, indeed! And the photos really work well. I have fun using some of my old, indestructible lenses, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote