Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:05 PM   #1

Default Maiden Voyage (Shake-down cruise)

Well, my new K-30 got here... FINALLY. All-in-all, I'm VERY impressed with it. I've got a lot to learn but here are some initial captures from this morning.

Last but not least... RED!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:28 PM   #2

Some very fine photos here - great color and sharpness, and very nice light too. Looks like a great tool in some very capable hands!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:52 PM   #3

Welcome to the Pentax world. Very nice photos I assume these were with the 55-300. Only thing I notice is the pics all seem a bit front focused. Not sure if it's just you getting used to the new gear of if the lens needs to be calibrated. Might want to do some tests and see if in camera focus correction makes a difference.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:19 AM   #4

Very nice, enjoy your new toy and Welcome, just a side note if you find the camera is front focusing the in camera focus adjustment is very easy, I had to adjust my Kr and K2000 a little.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:48 AM   #5

Thanks, everyone. Anyone care to point me in the direction or give me a page number?
My Gallery

--
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:37 AM   #6

AF Fine Adjustment is on page 110 of the manual. I'm still learning/working my way through all of the features of the K-30 - quite a jump from my K200. I haven't tried the AF Adjustment but the steps look to be straightforward and there is always the option to reset to default values.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:25 PM   #7

Gary, welcome to the world of real cameras.

I don't use the K30, but one reviewer said it is the best camera Pentax has ever made. I do use the 55-300 however, and find my copy to be an excellent lens. I notice you are shooting at f6.3, which for this lens is nearly wide open (f5.6) at 300mm. As you probably know, long teles tend to be somewhat soft at their maximum focal length, so you might try shooting at f8 or f11, which should sharpen things up for you. I don't think this camera should be that noisy at ISO 640 so the graininess in the background could indicate indicates you may have done some sharpening in post processing - this lens should give you sharper images than these - have you engaged the image stabilization? You have gotten sharper pictures with "lesser" cameras at longer equivalent focal lengths, so you should be able to hold this one steady enough, so that is probably not the problem here, so you might also bump it up to 400 (which will allow you that extra stop or two), or use a de-noising program - If you use Photoshop Elements, I find the despeckle filter is more effective that the noise reduction filter which loses too much sharpness. Goos luck and keep experimenting - with your experience and demonstrated skill I am sure you will get the hang of it shortly.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Gary, welcome to the world of real cameras.

I don't use the K30, but one reviewer said it is the best camera Pentax has ever made. I do use the 55-300 however, and find my copy to be an excellent lens. I notice you are shooting at f6.3, which for this lens is nearly wide open (f5.6) at 300mm. As you probably know, long teles tend to be somewhat soft at their maximum focal length, so you might try shooting at f8 or f11, which should sharpen things up for you. I don't think this camera should be that noisy at ISO 640 so the graininess in the background could indicate indicates you may have done some sharpening in post processing - this lens should give you sharper images than these - have you engaged the image stabilization? You have gotten sharper pictures with "lesser" cameras at longer equivalent focal lengths, so you should be able to hold this one steady enough, so that is probably not the problem here, so you might also bump it up to 400 (which will allow you that extra stop or two), or use a de-noising program - If you use Photoshop Elements, I find the despeckle filter is more effective that the noise reduction filter which loses too much sharpness. Goos luck and keep experimenting - with your experience and demonstrated skill I am sure you will get the hang of it shortly.
As stated, these are initial images. As I tweak the settings and learn more about the camera's idiosyncracies, I believe the images will improve.

The K-30 is great! It's very advanced, extremely well-built, and offers a LOT of bang for the buck. I'm sure I made a good choice.
My Gallery

--