Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:33 PM   #1

Default Holston Tower Views

Up on Holston Mt again recently, checking trail conditions for future guided hikes. It was a day of very interesting weather - the hike on up was thick with fog, and each stem was gemmed with condensation.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:36 PM   #2

Time was short, so we didn't stop at all on the way. But we had to take some time to stop and enjoy the view up at the tower.

Here we were well above the low clouds, and could admire them rolling across the nearby ridges.
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:38 PM   #3

The sun was amazingly intense up at the tower - made a winter day feel like summer, and made for some fascinating cloud shadows...
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:42 PM   #4

We also enjoyed the fine views down into Stony Creek valley - looked so lush and green compared to the leafless trees...

It was fun to try the same basic view with 4 different lenses - DA 15, DA 21, FA 50 and DA 70. Which do you prefer?
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:44 PM   #5

Clouds and sun (and height of tower) also made for some fine views in the opposite direction - across South Holston Lake.
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:47 PM   #6

A quick hike with a quick return, and with plenty of possibilities for future guided hikes. Hope you enjoyed the view, and that you will share your comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:33 PM   #7

Awesome photo's Thanks for sharing.
Rascle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:07 AM   #8

At first, I thought the DA50. Looking at the photos a bit more, I found the 15 and 50 gave a blue cast to the distant hills, while the 70 gave a better representation of grey, brown, and green elements, even in the foreground. I am not a WA sort of fellow, though, and would choose a telephoto aspect in many instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
We also enjoyed the fine views down into Stony Creek valley - looked so lush and green compared to the leafless trees...

It was fun to try the same basic view with 4 different lenses - DA 15, DA 21, FA 50 and DA 70. Which do you prefer?
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:53 PM   #9

I like the 21 view, could be the framing, composition I like better. I like all the shots but the ones from the tower best

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:22 AM   #10

Nice series, an interesting look at your beautiful area. I like the 15 and the 70, mostly because I like the extremes. I like both the whole view because it gives you such a feel of the whole thing, and the relative close up because I always want to see the details.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote