Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:51 AM   #1

Default Playing Around With A Lightbox

hello folks. Its been a while since I posted any pics here. I started a new hobby a few months ago that has been absorbing my time. Looking around on the forum I see that the great photos keep pouring in. I still look at the work all of you do and sigh in awe. Anyway my new hobby is cutting cabochons and wire wrapping. A cabochon for those who dont know is a cut , shaped and polished piece of semi-precious gemstone. It usually has a domed front surface and a flat back.
So anyway I am a member of a couple forums where folks who cut and polish rocks share info and photos of the work they do. These folks are known as lapidaries. The craft in its various forms is known as the lapidary arts. So that brings me to why I am here.
Well I of course still use Pentax brand and am still using the Kx. The attached photo is the result of me getting tired of poor results when trying to photograph my rocks. The answer was a lightbox. Built from paper and a cardboard box. Lit by a generic off camera flash. This is the one of the first few trial shots. I am happy. With a bit of tinkering I expect to get better.
Attached Images

bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:56 AM   #2

I keep talking about making a light box, but I never get around to it. You used paper for your surround? I was thinking of using a sheet, but then I was also thinking of something a bit bigger than what you need for your stones. Do you ever use a secondary light source on the other side, to try to even the light out? Or would that flatten things too much?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:52 PM   #3

Very nice results - both your stone work and your photographic work! Will look forward to seeing more of both.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:19 AM   #4

Default here is another

mtngal..my box is a work in progress....i will likely buy a proper light tent in the future but just to try things out i made the box...the light in the first pic is one flash tethered to the camera via a sync cord ....the pic below is with two flashes , as i just received a radio flash trigger ...a transmitter and two receivers cost me 20 dollars shipped off ebay.....

Mole.....

the rock in the pic below is a lake superior agate....to the right of the knife is the rock that the one on the left was cut from....

my flashes are a vivitar 283 and a vivitar 550fd.....the camera is my Kx set to manual ......the lens is an autofocus quantaray 70-300 with a macro setting........
Attached Images

bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:14 PM   #5

I'm still impressed! Thanks for the explanation on how you did it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote