Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:38 AM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Mole...exceptionall series (as always)! What kind of temps and wind chills did you encounter on this hike? I'm a warm weather hiker myself and wonder how long I might last on a hike such as this one???

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:22 AM   #12

Great series Mole, this is something I don't normally get to see, I spent a long time looking at all the images, I'm to old and out of shape for that kind of hike, plus I hate the cold but it is beautiful. You have an amazing eye for natures beauty.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:04 PM   #13

Jehan - Glad you enjoyed the "cool" hike! To answer your question - did not bring along a thermometer, but would estimate temps in the upper teens and lower 20's Fahrenheit. Some pretty stiff breezes at times too. Was out on the trail about 3-4 hours (going slow because taking way too many pictures!). Just remember, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing! For winter hiking, it's best to wear several layers, including an inner wicking layer and an outer wind blocking layer. It's also best to avoid cotton clothing - can really chill you fast if it gets wet. And it's really easy to get dehydrated on a long winter hike - you'll feel a lot better & warmer if you drink plenty of water, even if you don't feel very thirsty.

Hans - So glad you had a good time viewing the wintry scenes! It was indeed a beautiful, but rather chilly day...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:02 AM   #14

Another great set of shots Marty,,,,, well done!!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/keithtate
Keith Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
There were also amazing little details - like azaleas encased in ice, frozen drips on the spruce twigs, and frozen fog on the trunks...
I like this series of four especially. The branch-cicle on the bottom left is my favorite.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:30 PM   #16

Wonderful photos Mole. They are all fabulous, but I am especially taken with the hoarfrost on the shrubs and fence posts. I have seen many wonderful photos, and heard many great reports from AT hikers, about the southern balds in summer. These photos show that the balds are different, but equally delightful in winter.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:51 PM   #17

Keith - Glad you enjoyed these! Have you visited Roan Mt lately?

MacBook - Thanks for your kind and specific comments. I always seem to do better on the details than the broad landscapes...

MtnMan - That frost was indeed amazing - well worth the trip just to see it! And yes, the balds are worth experiencing at any season. Hope to see you here in our southern Mts someday...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote