Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:42 PM   #1

Default K200D diopter slider doesn't slide --??--

Offered a used K200D body. First thing I did was put on a known good lens (I've used manual Pentaxes for decades, so have several auto and manual Pentax lenses).

Then I looked through the viewfinder and reached to adjust the diopter. (I always have to do that on any camera)

The slider over the viewfinder seems stuck -- it moves slightly between center and left of center, never goes to the right of center, and there's no apparent change in the viewfinder image. It'd be in + range, wrong for me, I always need the full -2something set on any camera I have.
And it won't go there.

And the finder image isn't in focus for me either with or without glasses. (I have done the setting to use older lenses).

Any subtle trick about the diopter slider that I'm missing?
Is it getting stuck a known problem that's fixable?
Or, well, any advice?

Else I (sigh) send it back and look for another one.
ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:03 PM   #2

Ankh -

You might get more response if you post down in the Pentax DSLR section of the forum.

I do not have a K200D, but the diopter adjustment on my K-m became "sticky" after I dropped the camera! This may be fixable, but might also be a hint to watch out for more serious problems. You can find good used Pentax DSLR bodies over at KEH.com, and they come with a good warranty as well. Looking right now, they currently have 4 used K200D bodies and 4 used K20D bodies, as well as several others...

PS to moderators - can this thread be moved on down to the DSLR section? Thanks!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:28 PM   #3

G'day mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankh View Post
... and reached to adjust the diopter. (I always have to do that on any camera). The slider over the viewfinder seems stuck -- it moves slightly between center and left of center, never goes to the right of center, and there's no apparent change in the viewfinder image. It'd be in + range, wrong for me, I always need the full -2something set on any camera I have. And it won't go there....
Try a small amount of graphite dust into the slider slot

Graphite dust is used for lock barrels and 1001 small items where you want some smoothness without any stickyness [from oil]

If you don't have any in your toolbox, a small squeeze-bottle should be obtainable from any hardware or automotive place for under $5

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:55 PM   #4

I find the diopter adjustment hard to change without removing the rubber, but from the sounds of it, that's probably not your problem.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote