Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:44 AM   #1

Default K-01 Discontinued After Only 12 Months

Quote:
Pentax Ricoh has discontinued the K-01, just 12 months after it was introduced to the line-up.
It was a compact system camera which was compatible with the company's legacy of K-mount lenses and featured an APS-C sized sensor. By contrast, the other compact system cameras in Pentax's range feature a small sensor and proprietary lenses.
The Pentax K-01 was announced in March of 2012, and was designed by Marc Newson, who had previously been involved in furniture and watch design. Its large boxy design was one of the more unusual on the market, and never really captured the imagination of the consumer.
Around the same size as an entry-level DSLR, some questioned the point of owning something which wasn't any smaller than the cameras already in their range.
Now, just a year on from launch, the camera has been discontinued by Pentax. It seems unlikely that it will be replaced by a K-02, though there have been some suggestions that a K-mount module for the Ricoh GXR could be on the cards.
Mini camera

Towards the end of last year, Pentax unveiled the Pentax Q10, the world's smallest compact system camera. Featuring a small, compact camera sized sensor, the Q10 is seemingly proving popular in Japan, where it has reached top 3 on the best-seller charts on a number of occasions.
Earlier this year, the company announced it would be making the Q10 available in 100 different colour combinations. It seems for now at least, Pentax is concentrating on its Q range.
via DPReview
Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/photog...market-1133868

Surprising, although not that much, will be keeping an eye open for some clearance bargains as it would be a nice backup and low light camera.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:47 AM   #2

The K1 is an odd looking camera. Its fate was sealed as soon as it was announced. Bad design on the part of Pentax.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:38 AM   #3

Bad design by Marc Newson, Pentax hopefully have learnt their lesson and won't be letting furniture designers work on their cameras anymore.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:03 AM   #4

I understand that the design was not appreciated by many people, and that its use as a camera might not be seen as optimal, primarily because of no viewfinder. However, it did win some notice in two German contests (see quotes below).

Additionally, many people like the functional design, even if it is thicker than other mirrorless cameras. It is quite comfortable to hold, and its rectangular design allows it to sit flat on its side, which actually can come in handy. Its major flaw is the lack of the viewfinder option, but there are a lot of people who find it usable nonetheless. (The rubber flap door over the SD card door is not ideal, either.)

The quality of the photographs is great and the Pentax interface is a very user-friendly one, complex yet straightforward. It may not have been a hit, but it was a bold attempt at making an interesting mirrorless camera that uses existing DSLR lenses without an adapter, and in that way is rather successful.

"The Pentax K-01 compact system camera has been selected as a Product Design 2012 winner at this year’s red dot design awards in Germany. The award – the red dot – has established itself internationally as one of the most appreciated quality seals for outstanding designs. The Pentax K-01 was selected from more than 4,500 applicants from 58 countries to win the “Entertainment Technology and Cameras” category."

"PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce that the PENTAX K-01 lens-interchangeable digital camera has been selected as Gold Prize winner at the German Design Award 2013."

MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:27 PM   #5

Interesting. I was never interested in it. But, had noted it reminded me a lot of my husband's Canon G9.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:19 PM   #6

I keep trying to convince myself to get one considering the current pricing and the K5 sensor, but I have several finderless cameras and just can't see taking most shots without a finder. On my Q I use a lcd hood magnifier eye piece and still use it mostly for stationary objects.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:47 PM   #7

I sometimes wonder if Pentax would of been wiser to introduce a second generation and redesign the body of K-01.

Like the others....I also thought the design left a lot to be desired....it didn't have a quality look to it, IMO.

But I thought that with the K-5 sensor, etc....the K-01 had the a lot going for it.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I sometimes wonder if Pentax would of been wiser to introduce a second generation and redesign the body of K-01.

Like the others....I also thought the design left a lot to be desired....it didn't have a quality look to it, IMO.

But I thought that with the K-5 sensor, etc....the K-01 had the a lot going for it.
I would think they would skinny down the body, reduce lens flange distance and supply a step out adapter for existing K mount lenses. This would allow easy adapters for most other manufactures lenses and then design a new short set of dedicated K0* lenses.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Apr 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:15 PM   #9

At the current sell off price I would buy one, except I am between occupations at the moment and therefore broke.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:58 PM   #10

For another opinion see my post (#7) in this thread in the Pentax Q forum:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...k-01-vs-q.html
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote