Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:58 PM   #1

Default March 2013 challenge

Sorry. I meant to post something before I left for work this morning. Finally home.

Since I'm taking a b&w photography class right now, I figured that might be a good topic. I'm going to put a twist on it that you can also submit photos where one item in the image is colored if you wish. I think most graphics programs will do b&w conversions nowadays. Some probably better than others. But, this challenge will be more for the topic you choose to photograph.

Same rules apply as in the past. Pentax or Samsung, last 90 days........

Have fun.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:06 AM   #2

We had a few inches of snow about 2 weeks ago, and before leaving for work on morning I took a few photos. This shot, of our deck and back yard, was almost black & white right out of the camera -- there was just a slight hint of green in the pine needles, and the wooden railing around the deck still showed a hint of the natural reddish-tan color of the cedar. There was so little color that I found it almost distracting. I think converting it completely to B&W may have strengthened the image a bit, by removing that visual distraction.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:06 PM   #3

Looks like my yard today!

I may change this later - I'm not entirely happy with how I processed this picture. I used one of the presets in the new version of Topaz Lab's B&W Effects plug-in and I wonder if it's a bit harsher than I like. On the other hand, I wanted the background to be harsh, leaving the shovel as the focus. Not sure it really works (would love some feedback as always). In any case, there's a little story that goes with the picture:

The Best Kind of Neighbor

She was out in the cold, trying to dig out her driveway. As she felt her muscles tighten up with the effort and she wondered if she could lift another shovel-full of heavy, wet snow, her neighbor called her name, walking up with his shovel. The two neighbors leaned on their shovels and talked companionably for 5 minutes, then both turned away and went back to shoveling their yards. That brief interlude was enough to give her the energy to finish the job. The best kind of neighbors are your friends.

Edit - I am changing my picture so I deleted the one that went with this story, see my new post below.

Last edited by mtngal; Mar 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM. Reason: changing my entry
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:28 PM   #4

Default White, Black and Blue

As soon as I saw the challenge, I thought of this shot. Waited for a clear blue sky. The road to Mount Shasta.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:38 PM   #5

Well, someone had reminded me that the challenge month before last was also b&w. So, I'd been thinking of changing it. But, seems people are still finding outstanding images to post. So, we'll stay as is.

Having gotten another 15 or so inches again yesterday, I'll probably end up with a snow image, too. We can't seem to get away from it lately! And, the temps will actually be warm tomorrow to not freeze my fingers off getting out there.

Patty
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:07 PM   #6

A belated but heartfelt congratulations to Patty on a well-deserved February win.

So, just to be sure (I'm a little slow) - is the challenge this time b&w again, or specifically b&w with selected portion(s) in color?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:31 PM   #7

Either full b&w or with one color is fine. I hadn't been around enough lately to remember we just did this. I could change it, but people seem to be taking the challenge again. So.......

Is this okay with everyone? Or, would people like me to add another topic to choose from in addition to the b&w. It might make it a little interesting when it comes time to vote, though. But, we could say vote for which fits either topic best.

Patty
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:54 PM   #8

Not sure if mine counts as "one Item" but i thought i'd have a go . Done in camera as editing isn't one of my strengths

Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9

While I'm thinking about it, just wanted to bump as a reminder. Keep those photos coming in. Only a few days left.

Patty
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:00 PM   #10

I pulled into a highway stop one night before Christmas to take a break from driving and thought it looked so nice with the rest stop lights shining on the trees after a fresh dumping of snow that day. It originally had a sepia tone to it but I had changed it to b/w in my editing program.
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote