Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:05 PM   #1

Default Week 37 and 38 of 52

I was thinking about just not continuing my weekly write-ups, especially since it's been so long since I posted any, and I was stuck in November. I had the next two weeks written, but never posted them.

I've had an unexpected day off today due to snow that closed the interstate, and enough snow on local roads to discourage me from going in. So I thought I would work on the rest of the weeks, if only for myself. Then I figured, why not - I'll post a couple and see if I should post the rest.

Here's two weeks that I wrote up in either late December or very early January:

Week 37 and 38 of 52

Week 37, Nov 12 – 18

This week marked a pretty low spot in the beginning, then looked up at the end of the week. I was so unenthusiastic about taking time to take pictures, I only managed one day during the week.

Wednesday I took some time before work to get this picture. I’ve posted other pictures taken of this building in similar lighting, but with different names on it (I think it was Wachovia last time). It’s a high-rise building that’s mostly windows. The glass is heavily tinted so it appears charcoal grey/black during the day. But just before the sun comes up it reflects the early morning sunlight, which turns it golden and quite a sight.

I wasn’t feeling all that great on Friday so stayed home. By the afternoon I was feeling better and reading through the “for sale” ads on the pentax forums site. There was an ad for a 1.7 AFA for sale, with the location Fresno. I exchanged messages with the seller and soon found myself driving up to get it (drove the Wrangler, the cost for postage would have been less than the gas!). But I had it in my hands that day, very satisfying.

I posted a bunch of pictures I took with it that weekend in this thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ern-right.html . I also took this photo of some sea gulls that the Royal Terns were hanging out with.

Week 38, Nov 19 – 25

Monday found me experimenting with the AFA. Not exceptional shot, but I’m still fascinated with the shadows on the wall.

I really like the AFA with the Viv, it seems like a great combination. Here’s a manhole cover I took on Tuesday.

By Wednesday I was enthusiastic enough to decide to really take all of my lunch-break and visit the botanical gardens. The AFA does introduce new elements, in the case of the Viv, it makes the already harsh bokeh even stranger/worse sometimes. But when things are in focus, they can be outstanding. Some examples:

I could really get used to this combination for butterflies.

Thursday was Thanksgiving. How things have changed as far as family communication. This is the new norm:

Friday I vaguely looked around for something to take. Since several of the family were going to be gone for Christmas, but everyone would be there at Thanksgiving, we had Christmas in November. My sister put out some decorations, including this nativity scene. It was really a wonderful holiday with everyone there.

Someone on 365 asked me about what lenses would work with this TC, they knew that the Sigma APO only works with some specific lenses. So I took this picture of it, showing its depth. Taken with the K5 and 31 Ltd.

Thanksgiving was a wonderful time, it’s always great to have a new photo “toy” (the AFA). I might not have taken very many pictures over this two week period, I was really pleased with them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:41 AM   #2

I'm very glad to see this series continuing. I think I have said before that much too often I stay in my photographic comfort zone -- scenic landscapes. Even though I rarely venture outside this genre, I really admire those who force themselves to try new things. I could walk by that manhole cover every day for years without seeing the creative possibility that you captured. Thank you for sharing -- you are helping expand my horizons, and I'll venture to guess that others appreciate this series as well!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3

Thank you, mtnman - I know what you mean about staying in your comfort zone. There's still lots of photography I haven't tried and other parts of it that I'm pretty bad at (street photography being high on that list). But I've learned quite a bit this year and have developed some extra skills that I didn't have before. I've discovered that photography, like many skills, needs practice. So this project has kept me practicing things.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:44 PM   #4

Can't even begin to pick a favorite. Each has it's own interesting thing.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:07 AM   #5

Thanks, Patty. One of the things I've discovered is that I get bored doing the same thing over and over (pine trees day after day can get that way), so I'm always looking for something new. There's three parts to photography for me - the picture taking part, the processing part and the final product part. I like looking at my pictures on my computer, and I don't like looking at the same thing over and over. Also, I sometimes find visiting the same trail all summer gets pretty boring. Unlike mole's forest, ours doesn't change all that much outside of the couple of weeks when the wild flowers bloom, and I find it harder to really LOOK at it all, to drink it in so to speak, rather than just go by without it registering in your mind (much like what mtnman said about the manhole cover). Trying new things and actively looking at something ordinary in a new way makes it all seem extraordinary, new, fun and interesting, which is probably why I keep taking pictures.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:41 AM   #6

A lot of very diverse pictures but all well done. It looks like the AFA will get a much good use in your capable hands.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:19 PM   #7

The AFA is a very cool item, I am so glad I got it rather than the Sigma 150-500 (not that there is anything wrong with the Sigma lens). It is lighter and does more things that I enjoy, especially adding to the macro side of things. I wish they still made it, I'm sure it would sell well.