Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:15 PM   #1

Default Week 40 and 41 of 52

Week 40 and 41 of 52

Week 40, Dec. 3-9

Iím almost tempted to split these weeks, even though I only have pictures taken on Monday and the next pictures I took were on Sunday. But since Sunday pictures relate to those taken the following week, Iíll keep them combined and try to choose only 11 pictures to post here (plus the one I took on Dec. 3).

Hereís the picture I posted on Monday, the only day before Sunday I had the camera out.

I also did another picture, but it isnít exactly pretty. It was an interesting challenge from a processing standpoint because I wanted to take a picture of a puddleís reflection and have some things that were at its edge/sticking in it also in focus. I used two shots, one focused on the reflections and one focused on the pine needle that was above it. Just wish I had had a prettier puddle to work with, but this was the only one I could find. Itís located here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p487897818/e510bf760 .

Sunday, Dec 9th found us starting a weekís vacation in Flagstaff, Arizona. We spent Sunday taking a drive to the east entrance of the Grand Canyon, then driving along the rim to Grand Canyon Village for lunch, then back to Flagstaff. Both Dan and I took lots of pictures, as you can imagine with such awesome scenery.

We had lunch at the El Tovar Hotel. It was all decked out for Christmas and was gorgeous.

Week 41, Dec. 10 Ė 16:

The following day (Monday) we went to Monument Valley. This was one of the ďmust-seeĒ places for me on this trip (I have been to the Grand Canyon several other times). I found it very interesting - in many ways far more impressive than any pictures Iíve seen of it. My pictures donít do it justice.

On the way back to Flagstaff, I got sick, so we stayed in the unit on Tuesday and watched some movies. It was a nice break, one of our goals for this vacation was to get some rest, and luckily whatever got me didnít last long. It did mean that I didnít take any pictures.

Wednesday, Dec. 12 was an eventful day, and the biggest reason for taking the week off Ė it was Danís birthday. I had told him that he could plan the entire day, that it was HIS day. If he didnít want to do anything, that would be fine as far as I was concerned. As usual, I was up well before there was any hint of light in the sky. Dan surprised me by getting up early also and saying he wanted to see the sunrise at the Grand Canyon. We packed up the cameras and hit the road.

The weather was starting to cloud over and that created unusual lighting.

We took a last look as the good light disappeared.

Thursday we decided to explore two national monuments that are just north of Flagstaff, Sunset Crater and Wupatki. Thereís a road that goes between the two monuments, I think they share a border.

Sunset Crater is volcanic, so the rocks are black or very dark grey. I found the nature walk interesting but my photos were downright lousy and I didnít bother processing any of them. Dan stayed around the car, he was still feeling tired and not interested in walking. Wupatki was more interesting Ė it is a number of Indian ruins. We both enjoyed wandering around them.

The forecasted snow arrived on Friday. I had always wanted to see the Grand Canyon in snow, and even though it was cloudy and snowing like crazy when we were at the watchtower, it was still incredible.

I posted a collage I made in a separate thread, showing the area before and after snow. You can see it here: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p487897818/e4f74cafc .

It continued snowing all day Friday and they were talking about the snow continuing all weekend. We left early Saturday, opting to drive an extra 100 miles through Phoenix, to get out of the sooner. We had a good vacation though Iím not so sure Dan was happy to reach age 60.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:07 PM   #2

Welcome back mtngal. Happy to see you didn't give up. You are developing a wonderful photographic eye. Great shots of the Grand Canyon. It is one of those places that really has to be seen to be believed.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:53 PM   #3

great shots of the canyon, I like the last shot of the canyon best.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:59 AM   #4

Thank you for these wonderful photos. My wife and I desperately want to see the Grand canyon, but as yet we have never gotten there. Your photos make me want to drop everything and jump on the first westbound plane! You have also inspired me to add Monument valley to my very long list of "must visit" places in the southwest. I don't think we'd be able to see everything we want, even if we had a month or more: Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Staircase/Escalante, Grand Canyon, etc, etc, etc.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:55 PM   #5

Thank you all. Paul, you are right - no picture quite does the canyon justice.

mtnman - I know what you mean. I live out here, and have taken time over the years to visit many of these places, but there's still places I haven't seen and want to. But even if you only have a week or two and can't see everything, come anyway. It's very rewarding to see these incredible places.

Though not everyone is impressed. A number of years ago I was visiting the Grand Canyon, standing at one of the viewing points just drinking up the incredible view, when a tourist bus pulled up. I overheard one of the people remark, "It's just a big hole in the ground. They would do better to fill it in so they could farm the land." To each his own, I guess. I'm just glad that some people in the past felt that it was worth preserving, leaving it for people like me to enjoy.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:47 PM   #6

I'm glad to see you continuing with your project. These are more outstanding images. I've never been to the Grand Canyon and probably won't ever make it. Although, your images sure show me what beautiful country is it. Just stunning!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:23 AM   #7

The GrandCanyon is one of those must-see places. You don't have to spend a week in the area, spending a day there, a couple of hours there as you drive by on your way somewhere else can be enough. That's how I saw it the first time, my parents were driving across country to see family in New York and we saw it on our way to Flagstaff, our overnight stay. What a wonderful way to do a long drive, visit national parks and important places along the way.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:55 AM   #8

Monument valley is a place I have never been to but your picture makes me want to go there. The GC shots are great; I like the lighting on the 1st 2nd and 3rd shots of the canyon.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:16 PM   #9

The third picture of the grand canyon is my favorite one of the week. There's just something that calls to me in that picture, though I can't quite tell you what it is. I love the lighting, even more so than the shots I had taken earlier, that had more unusual colors.