Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:48 PM   #1

Default Weeks 50 thru 52 of 52

The camera didnít leave the camera case from Feb. 11-March 1, all of weeks 50 and 51.

Week 52 of 52, Feb. 25 Ė March 3

I think I must have mis-figured my weeks somewhere along the line, as I started this project on March 10, 2012 but Iím not going to go back and figure out why it didnít work out.

A neat thing happened at work on 28 Feb Ė someone, who I had actually never met, stopped by to thank me for helping him out over the years (long story). He brought me some really lovely flowers, which I managed to photograph on the 2nd. I brought out the tripod and the macro focusing rails and snapped several photos. Even though these could be considered uninspiring, boring flower pictures, I was quite pleased with how they came out. Thereís a huge amount of detail, the focus was right on (thanks to live view and the focusing rails), and the flowers were really pretty.

Do you have a preference between the two above? Composition has always been difficult and I was wondering if my less traditional one worked better than the more classic framing.

This next one is actually a merge of two frames, taken with different apertures. The Vivitarís bokeh can be quite harsh (not unusual for a macro lens), so I took one at a big aperture, making sure the greenery behind the flowers was really out of focus. But that also meant that some of the flower wasnít properly in focus, so I took another one with a small aperture, which had the flowers properly in focus. Then I combined them in Photoshop, masking out the parts that I didnít want. I thought it came out better than either of the frames by themselves, though it was a fairly small difference.

Sunday found me finally getting out of the house with the camera. I took the DA300 and 1.7 AFA to go find some birds. There were few birds around, and I forgot everything I ever knew about exposure when shooting birds against a light grey sky (set the camera to a +EV). I did spot a common, but elusive/quick moving Stellarís Jay. The pictures were pretty bad, but I rather liked this silhouette:

The next one was about the same as far as it being mostly a silhouette. With a little processing, I got some detail in the blackness of another one:

I had to run it through DeNoise Ė thereís a limit to how much you can lighten the shadows/blacks without starting to get some noise, and it shows in this picture.

The Last Week (Week 52 and a half?), March 4-10.

Friday March 8 found me with an unexpected day off from work Ė I chickened out trying to drive to work when I watched a neighbor fishtailing an SUV along the subdivision road I was about to turn on. Instead, I took some snow pictures:

One of the things I like about our snow is that it doesnít over-stay its welcome. While there was a bit of fresh snow Friday night, it was melting quickly. I did manage to get some icy snow pictures. I liked this abstract:

I usually take pictures of liquid drops, but decided that this frozen one would do.

Sunday, March 10.

I wasnít very enthusiastic about getting the camera out, there wasnít much snow left and I was tired of being at home. Instead of starting my day off with a walk, I went shopping to restock the cupboards. When I got back from shopping, I almost didnít bother to pull the camera out, then realized it was the one year anniversary of my 365 project. I couldnít let it go by without taking a picture, so I headed to the county park, where I could find some geese and mallards.

They werenít all that interesting, and my pictures of them looked lousy even on the LCD. So I walked around the park, figuring I could at least take pictures of the ancient oak trees in another part of the park.

The first thing I noticed was that some of the trees had faces:

I was lucky enough this time to see several woodpeckers working this tree. They are acorn woodpeckers and they ďhideĒ their acorns in the tree.

And so ends my year of trying to take a picture every day. I didnít actually meet that goal, I discovered I didnít have the time or stamina to keep it up that long. Iím really glad I attempted it, and persevered through the entire year, doing as much as I could. I learned some new things, practiced techniques that I had gotten rusty on and got the chance to try some things I hadnít tried before. From a photographerís point of view it was very successful, and I hope I donít forget or put aside the many tools that were given to me.

This is my last summary, though it will not be my last post (I hope). I plan to go back to posting photos that I think are interesting and since I'm planning on continuing to learn new techniques (the ones I didn't quite get around to), Iíll probably share some of them as I go on. I want to thank you all for your feedback and for sharing this year with me, itís been wonderful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:00 PM   #2

Harriet, you deserve congratulations. This has been quite a project, and I think you stuck to it pretty well - you have put up some great photos. I am particularly pleased that you finished up with some birds!

As for the first two shots, I definitely prefer the composition of the second one. Rule of thirds, and all that.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:07 PM   #3

Another wonderful series. What a pleasant surprise it must have been to receive the flowers. I prefer the non-conventional composition. The frozen drip is excellent, as are your shots of the acorn woodpeckers.

I want to thank you for including us on your year-long project. I have enjoyed studying all the different avenues you have explored, and I have learned a lot from you photos and your descriptions.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:07 AM   #4

I agree with mtnman about the non-conventional approach, the frozen drip, and especially the first acorn woodpecker. I also like the silhouettes and the face in the tree. Great series.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:47 AM   #5

Wow you learn something new each day and for me today it's acorn woodpeckers, I like the fence and silhouette shots best

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:05 PM   #6

Some nice photo's. I prefer the first flower to the second flower photo, although both are nice.

The photo of the Stellar's Jay was great. I'm a fan of the TV show...Grimm and one of the things I've been trying to do is to emulate some of their still photography...ie; the spookiness of the outdoor sets. Your Stellar's Jay brings that to mind...of a photo I took.....the silhouette of a Raven in a dead tree.

I like the snow photo's. The quality of light you have captured, is very nice in the first snow photo.

Which reminds me...we are expecting a snowstorm coming up from Montana.....should be here in the evening, overnight. It's been a long winter here.

t

Last edited by lesmore49; Mar 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:56 PM   #7

A wonderful ending to a long project. I commend you for sticking to it all this time. You did it!

As for the flowers, I can't decide. I like the first, then I go look at the second again and like it better. They each have their own things that draw me in. I love the snow picture of the fence and the first woodpecker.

Great job! (Oh, and the reason you didn't end up right on the weeks - 365 days divided by 7 days a week equals 52.14 weeks.)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:54 PM   #8

Thank you all for your comments about the flower pictures. I'm rather like Patty, I can't decide which I like better. I go back and forth, so I was wondering what others thought about them, to see if there was a consensus.

Les, I hope you don't have too much snow (I won't tell you about spending 4 hours sitting outside a post office/passport acceptance facility yesterday in short sleeves).

Patty - thought it might be something like that, I didn't try to figure out the math when I realized I was short some days when I supposedly reached the end.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post

Les, I hope you don't have too much snow (I won't tell you about spending 4 hours sitting outside a post office/passport acceptance facility yesterday in short sleeves).
I'm glad that you won't tell me about spending 4 hours in short sleeves yesterday....that would be very hard on me.

Snow....right now we have snow, about 3-4 feet deep in our yard (been there since November ) and the forecast says we can expect more overnight....we're expecting a big snow coming up from Montana...overnight.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:11 PM   #10

What a great way to end off a year of diverse and fascinating photography. Much time and commitment embodied in these 52 weeks!

That first woodpecker is my favorite, but there are many fine ones in this "batch." As for the flowers: First, your macro rails are really adding to the sharpness, both are just right. I think I like the lines in #2 better, but both are very nice.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote