Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:23 PM   #1

Default Some Snowy Birds

Was inspired by Gary (GJToth) having such great results photographing birds through his windows. So about a month ago, on fine snowy day with many birds at our birdfeeders, I decided to try some snapshots through the windows. (First of course had to clean all the dog nose-prints off of the glass!)

Results were nothing like Gary's work - we must have much lower quality glass than his, and I'm not nearly as patient. But there were a few keepers among all the bad ones...

Here are a few shots of a Bluejay waiting for his turn at the front yard feeder. Our Jays are usually very shy, so the glass really helped...
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:26 PM   #2

Red Bellied Woodpeckers are another rather shy birdfeeder visitor. These common woodpeckers really enjoy our feeders, but do not enjoy being watched! Hiding behind the window made these fairly clear shots possible... (note that the first, with grey on top of her head, is the female)
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:29 PM   #3

We often see several dozen Cardinals around the backyard feeder. In the spring and summer, the males are very "polite" to the females, but in winter, they tend to bully them! Here are some of the demure winter females...
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:32 PM   #4

And the bolder males...
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:34 PM   #5

Have already posted some sunny-day shots of these cute little guys, but thought you might like to see a Titmouse and a White Throated Sparrow in the snow as well...
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:37 PM   #6

Just one more "snowbird." Brown Thrasher is a close relative of our Tennessee State Bird - the Mockingbird. But Mockingbirds are very bold, while the Thrashers are extremely shy. Have never gotten even a bad snapshot of a thrasher, until we tried the window method. Here are a few fairly good shots of this very retiring bird...
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:40 PM   #7

Our windows did add distortion and decrease contrast. But they also allowed me a few shots that would have been missed otherwise. Hope you enjoyed the results, and that you'll share your suggestions & critique!
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:43 PM   #8

Wonderful photos Mole. I would never have guessed these are taken through a window. I am well familiar with the problem of "dog nose stains"!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:46 AM   #9

Impossible to pick a favorite, they are all great!! I liked seeing the brown thrasher as I don't see this bird often.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:01 AM   #10

Agree with the others, another excellent series. Looks to me like your windows have the same effect as the ones in our house. The contrast is easily fixed in PP but sometimes the distortion is too much. I'd miss the insulating effects of the double pane but at times i really wish the house had just some old fashioned single pane windows to shoot thru.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote