Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
I love my 150-500. I have had it for about 1 1/2 years and am not that put off by its weight. I shoot a lot hand held (About 90% of the time). I carry it with a Camdapter wrist strap. All that being said I just purchased a gimbal head and will begin using the tripod more frequently in the future.

Lou
Lou,

I checked out your work (African Safari) closely before I decided to buy the Sigma. I was impressed at how well you did....given what must of been difficult photographic situations in Africa...ie; hot, dusty and out in the field.

So a belated thank you for posting your excellent work with the 150-500. It came in handy and was an important component of my research into this lens.

My tripod is over 25 years old....an old heavy duty Leitz Tiltall that I originally bought for medium format film work. It's exceedingly sturdy and steady....but not easily maneuverable.

A Gimbal head would be nice...to use on the Leitz.

I also have a Giotto monopod.

I'm going to try both tripod and monopod out.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:02 AM   #12

Les - I am glad that I had a positive influence in your decision.

I ordered a gimbel head yesterday, and I should have it by mid to end of next week. It is the Chinese knock off of the Wimberley for $92.00. I know people who have received good ones and have heard of others that had problems with them not being fluid enough. I feel I am mechanical enough to be able to work through the problems that have been reported. Worst case I will return it.
I will let you know how it goes.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:35 AM   #13

I have had great success with my 150-500 mm Sigma. Mine is the earlier version with no OS, not important since we have in camera stabilization.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Les - I am glad that I had a positive influence in your decision.

I ordered a gimbel head yesterday, and I should have it by mid to end of next week. It is the Chinese knock off of the Wimberley for $92.00. I know people who have received good ones and have heard of others that had problems with them not being fluid enough. I feel I am mechanical enough to be able to work through the problems that have been reported. Worst case I will return it.
I will let you know how it goes.

Lou
Thanks Lou, I am interested in learning how your gimbal head goes. With a lens the size of a 150-500 I think an item like this maybe a very worthwhile accessory.

Les
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooked View Post
I have had great success with my 150-500 mm Sigma. Mine is the earlier version with no OS, not important since we have in camera stabilization.

Ed

Ed,

It's good to hear of your satisfaction with this lens. I've only used mine , using the Sigma OS in the lens, But I'm thinking the Pentax SR in the body might be the way to go. I'm going to give it a shot...turn off the OS, turn on the SR.

Possibly less battery drain, etc....although I found the Sigma OS works very well.

Les
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:07 PM   #16

Les - congratulations on the new lens! Can't wait to see some of your great photos with it!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote