Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:11 PM   #1

Default I do love Springtime in East Tennessee!

Sure hope I'm not boring you with all these springtime snapshots! Spring hear in East Tennessee was a bit delayed, but now it sure is bursting out all over! Am having a very difficult time keeping up with all the new blooms, new birds, new leafing of trees, etc. So here are just a few samples from this past week or so...

Virginia Bluebells thrive in lush cool bottomlands, especially in the shaded floodplains of small streams. Some folks call them Virginia Cowslips, but by either name, we sure are glad they also call Tennessee home!

Here are several views, all taken in the early morning mist (a great time for wildflower light...) Any preferences among these?
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:12 PM   #2

Wood Anemone has been blooming for several weeks, but their somewhat scarcer cousin, the Rue Anemone, has just begun to open its fragile blossoms.
Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:14 PM   #3

We always look forward to the Serviceberry blooms. These are the first blooming of our showier-flowered native trees. Masses of white flowers in the early spring, tasty small fruits in late spring, and bright autumn foliage as well. What more could you ask for?
Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:17 PM   #4

Another much anticipated spring sign that was a bit late this year is not a sight, but a sound. Our native American Toads usually begin their bright trilling call in late March, but this year a cool spell kept them from singing until just a few days ago. These fellows are much bigger than the tiny Chorus frogs whose photos I posted several weeks ago. They are also much easier to approach. When I was wading out into the shallows to get these photos, one of the toads clambered up onto my leg and began singing!
Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:22 PM   #5

Here's a toad's distant cousin. Our native Green Frogs are not always green, but they are always close to water. They spend the winter burrowed into the pond mud, and have just recently begun coming out to sun themselves.
Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:23 PM   #6

It's fun to search out the renewed amphibian activity. It's also exciting to note the return of each new bird. Spotted Sandpipers winter in South America, usually returning to East Tennessee sometime in early April. Have tried for several years to get a decent photo - but they are always too shy and too quick for this impatient, slow photographer. This one was hanging out near the Toad pool, and allowed me to get much closer than usual.
Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:25 PM   #7

Will be very busy "out on the trail" for the next few weeks, and so may not be able to post much more for a while. But hope you enjoyed these glimpses of East Tennessee's lush green spring, and that your season is progressing well.
Thanks in advance for any comments & critique!
Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:55 PM   #8

As usual, Mole, you've posted some stupendous images from your area. You continue to inspire me.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:29 PM   #9

All I can say is..wow..how wonderful for you to have such a part of the country to photograph...the flowers..the birds! Your frogs are magnificent,the third toad looks like something Michelangelo would sculpted to celebrate the existence of all frogs/toads everywhere...Handsome fellow.Have fun "out on the trail"!
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:56 AM   #10

Beautiful springtime photos!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote