Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 10, 2013, 5:02 PM   #1

Default Some shots from new K-30

I've had the K-30 for a few months and finally went somewhere interesting.
All taken with Tamron 18-250mm

Took a trip to Nevada/Arizona and picked up a Senior Lifetime National Parks Pass for $10. Checked off a few "Bucket List" destinations and visited Lake Meade before it dries up.

I have a bit of a learning curve to move up. My copy of the K-30 doesn't seem to underexpose the way my K-20 does.

Thanks for looking,
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2013, 6:01 PM   #2

Nice series. I too, am finding a big difference between the K200 and K-30. Many more settings/options to play with. Great camera.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 8:02 AM   #3

Jim - Looks like a great tool in some very capable hands - and some very fine photos resulting...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 8:23 AM   #4

I also like your series, nice hummer shot, was the charger shot in Williams. That K30 is working well for you nice job. I like the perspective of the Hover Dam shot and wish I had walked the bridge.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments.

Hans, The Charger shot was taken in Boulder City, NV last weekend during their Spring Jamboree which included a classic car show.

Yes, the view of the dam from the bridge walkway is awesome.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6

I recognize quite a few of those places! Where was the mountain houses taken? It could be a number of places (one of which is where I'm sitting) but since you said "Arizona and Nevada" I'm guessing Flagstaff or around there? Your picture of Hoover Dam is better than mine - it was overcast/somewhat foggy the day we walked the bridge and I haven't been back since. It really is quite something, isn't it? That hummer is so cute, especially with the cactus flower.

Looks like a great trip!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 1:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I recognize quite a few of those places! Where was the mountain houses taken? It could be a number of places (one of which is where I'm sitting) but since you said "Arizona and Nevada" I'm guessing Flagstaff or around there? Your picture of Hoover Dam is better than mine - it was overcast/somewhat foggy the day we walked the bridge and I haven't been back since. It really is quite something, isn't it? That hummer is so cute, especially with the cactus flower.

Looks like a great trip!
The mountain houses shot was taken along Kyle Canyon Rd., heading up Mt. Charleston, northwest of Las Vegas.

The hummer was taken in Valley of Fire State Park, NV.

Sky divers were taken from our friends yard in Boulder City, NV. The airport where they take off from was within walking distance, but as my friend says "I can't see any reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane."

The first time I was at Hoover Dam the bridge was not built yet. Glad I went back a second time, it is an awesome view.
Here's a shot from the Lake Meade side of the dam with the bridge in the background; it's height above the dam makes for an almost bird's eye view.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a200user; May 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:30 AM   #8

Congrats on the K-30! Some really nice captures. That one of the Hoover Dam is really eye catching. Can you walk over that bridge, or is it cars only?

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 9:28 PM   #9

You can walk over it, there's a parking area below the bridge and a safe walkway. The view is incredible, but perhaps not for someone who's really afraid of heights. I was surprised that it didn't bother me, I had a great time taking pictures as I walked slowly across and back.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 9:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Congrats on the K-30! Some really nice captures. That one of the Hoover Dam is really eye catching. Can you walk over that bridge, or is it cars only?

Take care,
Glen
Glen,
Yes, you can walk over the bridge. There is a parking area that I used on the Nevada side, and from there it's about a 5 minute hike. I don't like heights and to complicate things there were high wind warnings the day I went over (the bridge, not the railing). Traffic is whizzing by at 55 mph and the bridge has a little "bounce" to it when a big rig goes by. Thank goodness for shake reduction.
Jim