Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 1, 2013, 5:43 PM   #1

Default Two New Cameras

I have been reading about the improvement in speed of handling and image quality of some of the newer compact cameras. I had some prime lenses I have not been using at all so I decided to sell them on eBay and pickup something I may use more. I picked up a new relative of Pentax, Ricoh GR, a pocketable camera with a 16.2MP APSC sensor. same size as the K5. It does not zoom, has a 28mm equivalent lens that is tack sharp right from F2.8. I intend to use it when shooting wildlife so I do not need to change lenses to catch a good landscape scene. I have missed good shots with quick moving sky conditions because I was too lazy to change lenses.

No Pentax relation for the second camera. I wanted something light to carry on vacation when I am not tacking serious photos. I did want some zoom range. I picked up a Fujifilm X20. The focus and handling are very fast compared to previous point and shoot cameras. It has a viewfinder, like old range finders, and a 4X zoom starting at 28mm equivalent. It has a fast lens, F2t 28mm and F2.8 at 112mm, and seems to be very sharp.

Just received them this week, will not say more until I have some experience with them.

attaching photos of them next to my K5.

Ed
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:39 PM   #2

Cool! The Ricoh camera seems to be really nice - is it smaller than the Fugi? They look like they are about the same size. I need to take a size comparison shot of my new little camera with the K5.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:47 PM   #3

Just thought of something else - a friend of mine just bought a Q to go with his Nikon D600. He bought a small tripod (guess that's what you would call it), a small "stick" a couple of inches tall, one end has a hot-shoe mount and the other end a screw that fits a tripod mount. He's going to have the Q mounted on top of the D600. You might think about doing something like that if you are using a tripod for the K5 and don't mind the extra object on top of the camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:16 PM   #4

I'm with you Ed I always carry my Can** S100 in a belt case even when I an shooting my Kr. Now I find myself carrying 3 cameras having added a Q with adapter to the mix. I can move the 55-300 from the Kr to the Q if I need more reach or use the S100 for a landscape scene. Just too many choices.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Cool! The Ricoh camera seems to be really nice - is it smaller than the Fugi? They look like they are about the same size. I need to take a size comparison shot of my new little camera with the K5.
The Ricoh fits in a shirt pocket, the Fuji lens sticks out a little far for a shirt pocket, I have a belt holster that holds it.
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6

Hope you enjoy both of your new tools - should certainly give you even more flexibility for your great photos!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote