Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:38 AM   #1

Default 3 new Pentax Cameras Released

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/13/pent...by-mirrorless/

I think Pentax/Ricoh need to start taking some risks, yeah the colours are nice, and the Q somehow fits in between genius and pointless, but there has been very little change in the cameras since the K-5. If I was in the market for a new Pentax, I couldn't see much of a reason to get a K-5ii over the cheap K-30, or the new K-500, the differences between them now are very slight.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:25 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Even though I no longer use Pentax, I still have an interest in the gear. Pentax seems to be contnuing down the path of catering to the casual user and perhaps to a youth market with the offering of so many colors on its bodies...may be they are thinking fashion accesories As for casual users, my observation is that most use a smart phone as their camera vs. a DSLR or a P&S.

Technically the the 2 DSLR's strike me as "also rans".

The only item of note is the Q which sports a larger sensor like the Canon S110 (which I own and love). But the price point is higher than that of the Canon. Again, they may be the're counting on the appeal of the offering of colors over performance. Strikes me as a fad. I'd hate to see Pentax/Ricoh dissapear from the market...I can't say that this announcement inspires confidence in me...Just MHO!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:08 PM   #3

Personally, I was glad to see that they have announced the entry level cameras, maintaining an affordable WR camera with an even more affordable non-WR one. For me personally, the WR is extremely important and the fact they are continuing to offer it at the entry level is wonderful.

I'm not at all interested in buying one of the two dSLR's announced since I'm very happy with the K5 I already own and have no need for another camera. The Q7 might be my downfall though - I've had more fun and success with the Q in the past 2 weeks and it would be nice to have less noise. I won't be buying it any time soon, after blowing my budget on the 06 lens, but I'll be following it closely.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:34 PM   #4

I saw the announcement in Facebook last night.

I thought it was a nice strong announcement. 2 great dSLRs and a big upgrade path for the Q series.

Yeah . . . the K-50 and K-500 are very similar, but it reminds me of what BMW did when they introduced the 2 litre engine in the 70's. They brought it out in the BMW 2000 and then turned around and brought it out in a lesser body too (the old body of the BMW 1600) and called it the BMW 2002. 'want all the goodness of the new engine, but want to save . . . no problem . . . here it is in a lesser body. I think that BMW 2002 ended up being a very popular car.

It may not be new news for anyone with a K-7 or up, but for anyone looking at getting their 1st dSLR (or 2nd for that matter), the pentaprism, dual dials, that nice 16meg sensor, you have to admit its a pretty potent package.

And for anyone that does anything remotely outdoorsy-type, like camping, etc. the WR body has got to pick up points for that, especially with that 18-135mm WR lens option. <grin>
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:42 PM   #5

What I found interesting is the reduction in retail prices of the cameras vs the ones they replace. The Q10 was 500 retail the Q7 is 479 same as the K30 was 749 and the K50 is 700.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:16 PM   #6

Yeah...nice that Pentax introduces two new cameras....a K30 update and a K 500....a new entry product.

Pentax uses the same Sony sensors as Nikon...except that Nikon and Sony have had the latest, greatest...24 MP Sony ASP-C sensor in their DSLR's for at least a few months.

Pentax uses the same Sony sensor that the K-5 and Nikon D 7000 were using for the past couple of years.

This is not a good move. Both the K50 and K 500...or at least the K50 should of had the newer 24 mp sensor.

The K-5 11 and K-5 11 s....both should of had the Sony 24 MP sensor back in the fall...when they were introduced.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:36 PM   #7

I disagree about the 24mp sensor - I haven't been all that impressed by the little I've seen of it as far as being a better sensor than the 16 mp one. It has more mp going for it, but comparisons don't show that it has greater dynamic range or better noise control. I'd rather have fewer pixels and better quality - which is one of the reasons I might be talked into the Q7 sooner than anything else (assuming that the larger sensor size really does translate into lower noise and greater dynamic range). Plus it gives Pentax the ability to use the 24mp sensor in the K5II replacement, giving them a bigger difference between their "flagship" camera and the entry level ones. If they do, I'll stick with the K5 unless they find a better 24mp sensor. I find the K5's files as big as I want to deal with for one thing, and it would take a lot to improve on the image quality.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I disagree about the 24mp sensor - I haven't been all that impressed by the little I've seen of it as far as being a better sensor than the 16 mp one. It has more mp going for it, but comparisons don't show that it has greater dynamic range or better noise control. I'd rather have fewer pixels and better quality - which is one of the reasons I might be talked into the Q7 sooner than anything else (assuming that the larger sensor size really does translate into lower noise and greater dynamic range). Plus it gives Pentax the ability to use the 24mp sensor in the K5II replacement, giving them a bigger difference between their "flagship" camera and the entry level ones. If they do, I'll stick with the K5 unless they find a better 24mp sensor. I find the K5's files as big as I want to deal with for one thing, and it would take a lot to improve on the image quality.
I find my K-5 at many ISO's and for that matter....my K10D (with it's 10.2 MP sensor) @ 100 ISO...both produce very sharp photo's.

I have no complaint.

My concern though and I don't think I expressed it clearly...is more of a marketing issue.

Many individual's will go into a camera shop...or check online and see that Nikon + Sony have the latest...possibly greatest (I don't know ) ....sensor and that it seems to have 8 MP's more than the recently introduced Pentax competition. I think right there...many decisions will be made by potential buyers.

I do think Pentax-Ricoh have to at least appear to be competitive with other camera makes.

I do understand the pixel number...sensor size issue and in fact I bought my Canon G 12 (10 pixel) as opposed to the earlier G 10 (14 pixel I think)...precisely because of the pixel number vs size issue. I'd rather have larger pixels as opposed to more pixels on a sensor.

But having said that, I do think the 24 MP ASP-C sensor...'could'....be an improvement on the older 16.2 Sony sensor that Pentax continues to use and Nikon/ Sony used to use. I'm assuming here because there is at least a couple of years of R+D between these two Sony ASP-C sensors.

I know one has to be careful about 'assume'...

I haven't seen any results for the newer 24 MP sensor...so I don't know for sure.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote