Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:48 PM   #1

Default Something Unappetizing

My wife found this in one of our neighbor's lawn early this morning while walking the dog (who didn't do it). This is a Slime Mold, Fuligo septica, commonly known as the Dog Vomit or Scrambled Egg Slime Mold, for obvious reasons!. By the time the sun comes out it will probably be gone.

Slime molds are Myxomycetes, weird forms of life, existing as many separate ameboid cells, coming together into a multicellular plasmodium (the slime) and subsequently maturing into this kind of fruiting body to reproduce by forming spores, and then melting down into a yucky brownish mat (which I don't plan to photograph). They are not fungi, but distantly related to protozoa. No enhancements on these (except a little sharpening and reduction to 72 ppm) - what you see is what I got, hand held).

Enjoy (or not)

Name:  Fuligo1.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  Fuligo2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  184.9 KB

Last edited by penolta; Jun 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:14 PM   #2

They have an appropriate name, don't they? The pictures are very interesting, but your subject isn't exactly pretty. The texture is interesting, thanks for explaining what it is as it also explains it. I don't think people would want it on their lawns, is it common?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
They have an appropriate name, don't they? The pictures are very interesting, but your subject isn't exactly pretty. The texture is interesting, thanks for explaining what it is as it also explains it. I don't think people would want it on their lawns, is it common?
It must be - search Yellow Slime Mold or the scientific name in Google Images and you will see pages of images, but I have never seen it before. I have seen other slime molds but not this one. From a biological point of view, the life cycle of these unique forms of life is absolutely fascinating. Although they might gross some people out, according to one website, this one is collected and eaten in some parts of Mexico, being considered a delicacy!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:57 PM   #4

I had no appreciation for slime molds until I read Bill Bryson's fascinating book, A short History of Nearly Everything. After reading the passage in which he praises slime molds effusively, I see the world quite differently. Thank you for further expanding my appreciation of these (very unappetizing) living things.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
this one is collected and eaten in some parts of Mexico, being considered a delicacy!
Hi penolta,

Sometimes I think that I'd like to meet the person who first saw something like this lying on the ground, and immediately thought "I think I should try eating this". . . or maybe not. . .

. . . or maybe it was first done on a dare. . . and misery does love company, so it had to be satisfying to fool someone else into trying it -- and that's how such "delicacies" are born.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:15 PM   #6

Penolta - Great photos of a fascinating life-form!

Scott - As a young 2nd grade student once told me, "It's easy to tell if something is safe to eat. Just eat it, and if you die, you'll know it was poisonous!"
mole is offline   Reply With Quote