Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:50 AM   #1

Default Input on Rendering

Hi all, Just wondering if you guys can give me some input on the composition of this rendering I modeled in Lightwave. The 3D community seems to think that is does not adhere to the rule of thirds, and is therefore not a interesting enough composition. I feel they are wrong, and the rule of thirds should not be cut in stone, and really does not fit this scene. I need the high def screen ratio. So purely from a photographers standpoint, how would you change this composition, or does it need to be changed? I'm open to any, and all comments. Just interested in composition. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by tony3dd; Jun 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2013, 4:14 PM   #2

First off . . . amazing rendering! Love it!

As for composition and whether rules or not . . .

The first thing I'd like to ask is . . . what are you trying to say with this image? What is the dialogue?

One way I look at photos and taking them is . . . its a way to communicate - visually.

If I'm taking a picture of my kid . . . what am I trying to say . . . look at how cute she is . . . look at how fast she is? etc . . .

Once I figure out what I'm trying to say . . . or observe, then I dive into the rules (or photographic techniques that I'm aware of) and see which ones seem to help to say that message. Is it the rule of thirds this time, maybe not. Is there some other rule or technique that might be better?

If the rule of thirds doesn't do anything for what you're saying, forget about it.

Just a thought.

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:25 PM   #3

Looks great to me. Some expensive eclectic amplification but bet it is smooth.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
First off . . . amazing rendering! Love it!

As for composition and whether rules or not . . .

The first thing I'd like to ask is . . . what are you trying to say with this image? What is the dialogue?

One way I look at photos and taking them is . . . its a way to communicate - visually.

If I'm taking a picture of my kid . . . what am I trying to say . . . look at how cute she is . . . look at how fast she is? etc . . .

Once I figure out what I'm trying to say . . . or observe, then I dive into the rules (or photographic techniques that I'm aware of) and see which ones seem to help to say that message. Is it the rule of thirds this time, maybe not. Is there some other rule or technique that might be better?

If the rule of thirds doesn't do anything for what you're saying, forget about it.

Just a thought.

Take care, Glen
Basically trying to capture the mood of the tube days of HiFi in the 60's. The hobbits, the enthusiast. I like the feel, but still seems to need something.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:17 PM   #5

The ashtray. It doesn't quite fit the shot. Should be a large, amber glass model.
I would also like to see at least a hint of loudspeaker in the b/g if you could manage it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:50 PM   #6

Think I'm going to remove the baton, and replace it with a glass of Scotch, and ice.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
Basically trying to capture the mood of the tube days of HiFi in the 60's. The hobbits, the enthusiast. I like the feel, but still seems to need something.
Do you want to make it look like a picture from the 60s . . . or a picture taken now of stuff from the 60s?

I just looked up some photographs from the 60s . . .

Looking through these pictures . . . there were a lot of B&W, but the colour images were interesting in that it had that vibrant red look to it that I remember from the pictures my dad took and had processed.

And then maybe you could use a filter to get that look. Or maybe use a filter that gives it that oversaturated looked + fading from being an old photo?

Maybe have some fun with it and make it almost look like it was an ad for some equipment from the 60s with some David Ogilvy advertising copy below it.

This could be like setting up a scene in a movie. <grin> Research what it takes to make it look authentic. <grin>

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:59 AM   #8

Awesome job on the rendering. The baton doesn't add much in my eyes so replacing it might be a good idea. The problem I have with the image is that with just a box with tubes and what looks to be a power cord I would have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at if you hadn't mentioned it. I like the concept but to me it needs something that helps to define what it is, be it a speaker, or cables, or an old microphone where the baton is. Just my two cents hope it is of some help as you have some great rendering skills.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:48 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input. Working on this. Will post again when finished.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:42 AM   #10

Ok, I like this composition much better.
Attached Images